Latest News: Forums Cruising Irish Sea almanac anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Algol

Does anyone have an Irish sea alamanac? Would you be willing to copy me out a few numbers from it?

I’m based at Lytham on the Ribble estuary. I’ve got a plan to cruise the W next year and would like to get hold of secondary port tides for Lytham or the nearest spot to it that’s in the almanac.

I want to work out what options for cruising locally exist. There’s lots of drying out ground in the estuary so I want to see what’s possible or not. I’m currently doing my Coastal Skipper theory so it’d also be an opportunity to do a few calcs.

Bob Harland
    Participant

Algol, I suggest you try the free one from Wiley;
    http://www.wileynautical.com/view/0/almanac.html

hope that helps

Algol

@Bob Harland wrote:

Algol, I suggest you try the free one from Wiley;
    http://www.wileynautical.com/view/0/almanac.html

hope that helps

Thanks Bob. I did think of that one but it turns out it only covers the S coast (and bit of the E) of England.

I got someone to sort me out the secondary port difference data from Admiralty tide tables.

Jim.Byers

I ve never used them for a while but google
    easytide or bbc coast and sea tide tables.
    I think they are still available.
    Jim.Byers.Mistral.

Hi Algol.
    From the PBO Small Boat Almanac 2010.
    Major port Liverpool. Nearest secondary port Blackpool 5349N 0304W.
    High Water. 0000 and 1200. -0010 0600 and 1800 0000.
    Low Water. 0000 and 1200. -0010 0600 and 1800 -0200.
    MHWS. -0.5 MHWN -0.5 MLWN -0.4 MLWS -0.1

Published by Arnold Laver.
    Laver’s Liverpool and Irish Sea Tide Timetable.
    It costs about £2, has about 20 pages, is available from most chandlers or direct from Laver and is the size of a small diary. HW Lytham is approx. -0010 Liverpool. Most people who sail the Irish sea carry Laver.

Good sailing in a difficult area. The latest Pilot mentions Liverpool, Preston and Fleetwood but nothing in between. It is similar to the Lincolnshire coast between Tetney and Wainfleet.

John.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jim and John have the way of it. Use both the Lavers (for reference when you’re afloat) and Easytide for passage planning. I suppose you could print and laminate the relevant Easytide graphs for use on the boat. I think it’s graphical format is particularly useful. I hope you always have perfect sailing conditions. However, when your belly’s sick, your body’s aching and your brain wants to run away, anything that makes life easier is a bonus.
    Easytide neatly brackets your cruising area, with Fleetwood and Blackpool to the north, Southport and Formby to the south and usefully, Preston.
    Forgive me if I’m teaching Granny to suck eggs, but if you see what I mean; strangers use the almanac, locals use Tide Tables.
    A centreboard is a most reliable depth-sounder around the fringes of the bay, and drawing a metre or so board-down, a Wayfarer can shorten a trip considerably if you’ve got fair weather and you’re sure of your ground.
    No doubt you’ll be able to get loads of sound advice from the members of RCC, and this forum is full of good solid stuff. Take particular note of the caveats regarding operating well within your own limits.

Squintin’ at the sky, puffin’ on me pipe, and tippin’ back me old salt-stained cap, I’d offer this potted wisdom: only sail on neaps, reef early, remember the effects of barometric pressure and wind, and a good outboard and ground-tackle.

😉

Doug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.