Latest News: Forums Racing Irish and UKWA national championships as part of Dun Laoghaire R

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • AUTHOR

Yes, as the UKWA includes Ireland we will be holding a combined Irish and UKWA national championships as part of Dun Laoghaire Regatta 2011. See:
    http://www.dlregatta.org/sandbox/Index.asp?Menu=Home

Steve

sailfree

If the nationals are to be in Ireland can someone post details of how to get a cheap ferry crossing.

Can the Wayfarer association arrange one for say 40 boats/

@sailfree wrote:

If the nationals are to be in Ireland can someone post details of how to get a cheap ferry crossing.

Can the Wayfarer association arrange one for say 40 boats/

Monica Schaefer, our Irish Rep, has already organised a discounted ferry crossing for us! I’ll ask her to post details here. She also knows how to organise a good party – so it should be a memorable event.

Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Can I ask what form the champs in Ireland will take, number of races, number of days of the event and any other racing info you may have at this time.
    Thanks !
    CP 😀

mckechnie

Reference the 2011 Nationals and Europeans I am starting the planning process over the w/e of 21/22 August when I go across to Dublin and discuss all the details of the UKWA Nationals and Europeans with Monica and hopefully a senior official of the Dun Laoghaire Regatta. We will investigate costs and possible discounts on ferries and then publish information that might be useful. Best wishes, Mike

Liam

Hi Michael
    Any update on ferries and accommodation please? Thanks
    Liam & Sue
    W10740 Nimbus

sailfree

Can I express my concern regarding the nationals in Ireland.

It would be such a shame if the momentum given to the class by the massive turnout at Weymouth is reversed in less than 12 months by a poor turnout in Ireland.

I would not wish to preclude Ireland as the Internationals held in 2001? in N Ireland was one of the best events we have ever attended. So friendly and well organised.

I am happy to book my place now if I knew that there was a reasonable ferry cost and local camping but so far have only heard rumours that there is no local camp site and while a discount ferry is being talked about there are no details yet.

I am currently under family pressures to book a holiday for 2011 and would ideally go for an extended sailing holiday in S Brittany in July.

My understanding is that many are awaiting the answers on camping and ferry costs but unless some info is forthcoming soon I think many will have made other arrangements.

sailfree

Colin May has kindly phoned me and talked me through going to “events” and clicking on the green arrows to find more info. Club looks great but like many we would require camping with toilet facilities so while its generous of the YC member to offer camping in his garden frankly its not going to cut it for us.

Happy to pay the ferry for a weeks event and tagging some holiday/touring/travelling from a camp site on both weekends (as we did for the 2001 Internationals) but for us just 4 days and no local camp site its a no go. Pity as I have a great affection for the Irish and their hospitality and I am sure Monica will organise a great event.

Looks like its just the regional events for us next year and Poole Week (good news is that Parkstone are steadily gaining in Wayfarer numbers both conventional boats and the Hartley’s). Would be interested in doing another week like Falmouth if there were sufficient Wayfarer numbers.

I do hope others can support Ireland as 116 boats in 2010 to say 30 the next year will not reflect well in any Wayfarer publicity.

To confirm that the link to the events section is as follows: http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=year.listevents&Itemid=35&year=2011&month=11&day=05

Regards
    Steve

Monica Schaefer
    Participant

Coming to Dun Laoghaire for the National Championships next July will be very easy as the ferry fron Holyhead docks right in Dun Laoghaire harbour less than 150m from where we will be based in the National Yacht club. A very substantially reduced ferry crossing rate has been arranged with Stena Sealink and there are a whole variety of accomidation options most within easy walking distance to the club see below. Those with camper vans can stay right in the Harbour almost in the dinghy park with full facilities at your disposal. coming to Ireland is a wonderful opportunity to combine a family holiday with your sailing or perhaps join Ralph Roberts and some fellow cruising Wayfarers on a feeder cruise up the irish coast from Arklow in the week before the Nationals. Following the success of the Championships in Weymouth and the allure of sailing in Dun Laoghaire there is good reason to believe that the 2011 Championships will be well attended and i am looking forward to welcoming you there. here are some details about the event to help you plan:

Use of all National YC host club facilities throughout the event. 7-10 July 2010

Car parking for duration of event at NCPS car park €15, (150m from NYC)

Dinghy and road trailer parking free at club

Regatta early entry fee €120 easy on-line entry and payment from mid November

Competitors will have access and use of all 4 waterfront clubs throughout event.

All 4 Clubs within easy walking distance, Shuttle bus service also available

Goodie bags for all entries

NOR, Si’s, safety cover and National Championship race management.

8 races over 4 days Thursday through Sunday, late morning starts.

Full calander of free social events each day,

Special Civic reception with lord mayor in town hall for UKWA entries

Daily Regatta 1st prize and 1,2,3 overall regatta prizes incl. Gold, Silver and Bronze fleets

Accommodation options;
    Camper vans €10 pn. in fenced off area of Carlisle pier adjacent to dinghy park.
    Harbour bar accommodation €35 ppn – within 100m
    Kingston hotel €70 per room – within 100m
    Royal marine €130 per room up to 4 persons – within 200m
    Selection of B+Bs within walking distance €35 – €45 pn
    Free canvas camping as garden guests of NYC members

Reduced Stena line ferry fares via:
    Holyhead to Dublin (6 miles) Departs Hh 2:30, 8:20, 13:50 & 21:30. Returns Dub. 2:15, 8:20, 16:00 & 21:15
    Dun Laoghaire (0 miles) Departs Holyhead 10am returns from DL 13:15 daily
    Fishguard to Rosslare (100miles) Dep. Fg. 2:45 & 14:30 ret. Ross 9:00 & 21:15 daily

Car, boat + 2 pass. €280 to €330 return depending on route and time chosen.

Accommodation List – B&B

Santa Cruz Ariemond
    27 Lr Mountown, Dun Laoghaire 47 Mulgrave St, Dun Laoghaire
    Phone +353 284 1334 Phone +353 1 280 1664
    Email: anne-lynch616@hotmail.com Email: info@mulgravelodge.com
    Contact Name: Sean & Ann Lynch Contact Name: Des & Marie Power

Rooms available: 5 Rooms available: 8
    Ann Harkin Darthogue
    7 Claremont Villas 4 Corrig Road
    off Adelaide Road Dun Laoghaire
    Glenageary
    Dun Laoghaire Phone +353 1 280 3288
    Contact Name Ann Morris
    Phone +353 1 280 5346 Email darthogue@hotmail.com

Contact Name Mrs Ann Harkin
    Email harkinann@hotmail.com

Web http://www.claremonthouse.net
    Rooms available: 4 Rooms available: 4
    B O’leary St Ann’s
    51 Bellevue Rd 81 Adelaide Road
    Glenageary
    Glenageary
    Co. Dublin Co. Dublin
    Phone +353 1 285 1021 Phone +353 1 280 6781
    Email: rosemount51@eircom.net Contact Name Brian Brady
    Email: brian_brady2003@yahoo.co.uk

Rooms available: 3 Rooms available: 2 large doubles Sleeps 8
    Avondale Accomodation Ferry House
    70 Avondale Road 15 Clarinda Park North
    Killiney, Co Dublin Dun Laoghaire
    Phone +353 1 285 9952 Co. Dublin
    Email: macananey@hotmail.com Phone +353 1 280 8301 / 284 3994
    Website: http://www.macananey.com Contact Name Eamon & Pauline Teehan
    Email ferry_house@hotmail.com

Rooms available: 5
    Lynden Location : Dun Laoghaire Town
    2 Mulgrave Terrace Rooms available: 4
    Dun Laoghaire Ophira
    Co. Dublin 10 Corrig Avenue
    Phone +353 1 280 6404 Dun Laoghaire
    Contact Name Steve & Maria Gavin Co. Dublin
    Contact Name John & Cathy O’Connor
    Rooms available: 4 Website: http://www.ophira.ie
    Winsor Lodge
    3 Islington Avenue
    Sandycove, Co Dublin
    Phone +353 1 2846952

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Very helpful Monica, is that 280-330 euro ferry costs, with or without the discount?
    CP Thanks

Monica Schaefer
    Participant

Hi Colin, the prices quoted are the return ferry costs after discount for a motor vehicle towing a boat with two passengers. the lower price of 280 euros is for a regular sized family car and the higher price is a supplement for a larger vehicle or peak time/route travel. extra passengers 20 euro each. stena will give us an event code that enables anyone travelling to the event to avail of the discounted travel. i used the stena event discount to travel to Weymouth in July and it worked very well, i paid less than half of what i paid to get to Falmouth in 2009 when i travelled without the discount. ms

Liam

We are booked into the Kingston Hotel. http://www.kingstonhotel.com/ 69 Euros for the two of us per night including breakfast. Views across the bay and 100m walk from the Yacht Club. Website makes it look pretty good. Many thanks Monica for the advice. Looking forward to the event, will probably stay on a few days and travel across the south.
    If you are thinking of booking into a Hotel, probably a good idea to do so fairly quickly, apparently rooms get booked up for Regatta Week well in advance.

Monica Schaefer
    Participant

great stuff Liam, looking forward to welcoming you to DL, The kingston hotel is very close to the yacth club literally on the other side of the road so you will have an easy commute from bed to berth about 2 mins. For others who have’nt booked yet i have just got advanced notice from another hotel; the royal marine hotel, again within a short few minutes walk, this is an very upmarket hotel with all mod cons and will be snapped up very quickly once the regatta special rates go on general release, so if you have a family group to cater for or you fancy a bit of luxuary it might be worth checking out their Room Rates agreed for Volvo DL Regatta 2011;

Family Room (5 People) €220 per night B&B – €44 p/person

Family Room (4 People) €190 per night B&B – €48 p/person

Triple Room (3 people) €160 per night B&B – €53 p/person

Twin Room (2 people) €130 per night B&B – €65 p/person

Double Room (2 people) €130 per night B&B – €65 p/person

alternatively if you just want a room then the harbout bar will be a cheaper option at 30-35 euro per person, early booking advised as the DL regatta is very popular and accomidation will get more expensive as time goes on, be sure to mention that you are with the Wayfarer/DL regatta event to get the best rates.ms

Online registration for the Nationals Next year is now avaialable on the Dun Laoghaire regatta site. Reduced fee of 120 euro available until May next year
    http://dlregatta.org/sandbox/2011index.asp

I wonder why Wayfarer entry is more expensive than Squibs, Flying Fifteens, Fireballs, Mermaids and IDRA 14s?

Dublin bay is a great place to race, I am sure the Nationals will be a great experience as well as a fantastic spectacle.

Trevor
    W10686

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.