Latest News: Forums Racing IMPORTANT vote before 30 November!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • AUTHOR

Posted on behalf of Michael McKechnie, Racing Secretary

There has been a proposal to expand the National Circuit Series from the current six events with four to count to seven events including the national championships. My own view (Michael McK) is that we have been running these Open Events as part of the National Circuit Series for a number of years now and people know where they stand with the sytem and we have kept the national championships as a separate event because we believe in there being a strict heirarchy of importance of events.

I feel that the national championships should be a standalone event so that the crew that win it can describe themselves as the best crew in their country. The hierarchy in terms of status should be:

1. Winner of the UK National Champs
    2. Winner of the National Circuit Series (counting discards)
    3. Winner of the Travellers Trophy (counting all National Circuit Events).

This is the way that we have been running it for several years. However, a number of people have been thinking of ways to increase attendance at Open Events and Nationals and, as a result, there are three proposals that I have been asked to put on the forum and to ask racers to vote on:

1. Keep six national circuit events with four to count; the national championships as a separate and premier event (the current position).
    2. Keep the six events as per the existing national circuit, but add the national championships to the series to make seven events and increase the number to count from four to five,
    3. As per 2. above but with 7 events and 4 to count (the number to count being as it is at the moment).

My own thoughts, for what they are worth, are that keeping things as they are (Option 1) will be the best option because I firmly believe that a Nationals should be a stand-alone event and not linked to a series.

Option 2 would be my next preference if Wayfarer racers, generally, agree with including the nationals in the series. However, I think that having seven events (with all the effort and organization that goes into them) and only asking people to attend four of them (Option 3) will adversely affect the Open Circuit and attendances at those events.

Please will racers consider this matter carefully and vote according to their thoughts. Obviously, my aim is to organize the best and most popular racing that I can for keen Wayfarer racers. Please will you add your thoughts and vote before November 30th so that we can confirm the programme and arrangements for next year at the earliest opportunity.

Mike McKechnie
    UKWA Racing Sec.

Hi Mike,

Its great to have the opportunity for discussion and voting on this issue. My preference would be for Option 3, solely on the basis that if I was planning on competing in the the National Circuit, I would sail the minimum number of events (due to travel costs and distances). It would also be good to be able to come to Medway to sail in the nationals, but that would necessitate 5 trips across the water, which is not feasible.

There is no reason why the winner of the Nationals would not be seen as the best in the country at that time – the Nationals should always be the premiere event – it could still be the premiere event if it was included as one of the circuit events. The nationals would likely be the most difficult of all of the events to do well in, but for those with limitied numbers of free weekends or time off, including the nationals as one of the 4 events would make it more likely that there would be a higher number of boats counting four results and taking the National Circuit more seriously.

All the best,

Trevor
    Hofreki
    W10686

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I voted for number one, its the least number of opens that the series will need to make it worth while for all the work that Mike has to do.
    First of all we have to prove to the clubs we ask that we will turn out and make it worth their time and money to run, this we just cannot do at this time as one look at the numbers will show.
    Only four out of the eighty four entrants are in contention with enough meetings done!!!
    I would say that the costs for traveling are becoming out of reach for some people and this maybe one of the reasons the numbers are low.
    Also, if your not in partnership in a boat, crew and helm, the cost could be falling on one owner who maybe having to foot the total bill.
    I would say that we should not to take on more opens at this time until the numbers can backup an increase.
    Opens are great fun to do, I have done many in the past but money is short for all but if you can go, Do!!
    I just do not see that putting the Nationals in the mix will add more people to the Traveling Series, not if the Champs are over a week because in this climate I see people choosing to do either the opens OR a small amount of opens and the Champs.
    A weekend champs maybe, but we still dont have the numbers.
    Maybe a pole to ask WHY people go to Opens or not may help to understand things!

CP

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Only four out of the eighty four entrants are in contention with enough meetings done!!!
    CP

According to my calculations five entrants will qualify with four meetings if they turn up at Bough Beech for the finale event. Everyone else will have to count a DNC. It is disappointing, but it was sheer bad luck that Shoreham was cancelled twice. Otherwise, we would have had our normal 10/12 qualifiers.

Talking of Bough Beech, who’s going? Pete and I will be there.

Steve

Geof

One thing that may help attendance is to publish the NOR earlier. If someone thinks about attending an open in a few weeks and cant find details on the web site to help them plan then they will probably conclude its only for those people that always do the circuit and be put off. I was new to the class this year and struggled to get details for the Inlands at Datchet and the rearranged event at Shoreham – in both cases I think the NOR was only available a few days before the event (Shoreham was better than Datchet by a few days). I did not try to get any others so not sure if I was just unlucky.

Ooops! I have just noticed that there is no NoR on the front page of the web for Bough Beech. Now corrected.

Thanks for rattling my cage, Geof.

Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

You maybe right Steve and five people do turn in enough but thats just not many to justify more meetings.
    Work out why people do not turn out and fix that first because if I have to go to more meetings to string together a series it will put me off I am so sorry to say!! And I like Opens!!!
    The challenge of going to a new venue and picking your wits against others is great, and to find your place in the fleet made up from members of other clubs you may never see from one month to next.
    It is a pity that more people cannot do the opens,when you look at other fleets who do turn out well and see what they enjoy, i wonder why the Wayfarer people do not want to enjoy the same thing.
    Are we all as a fleet just getting on a bit and have done it all before ? Ok! well maybe I am!
    One hope I have with the new boat is that people who spend out on a new boat will want to use it as much as possible and so relight the open torch.
    CP

Hi Folks,

I agree with a lot of what has been said above, especially the fact that not having a Shoreham event resulted in lower numbers being eligible for the series.

I also believe that having the nationals as the pinnacle of the years sailing should be seen a fundamental premise – it should be set in stone. However, that should not stop the nationals from being an eligible event for the series – I havent had a look at the results from all of the events, but if we had a look at this year and last year and included the Nationals as one of the events, with the best 4 to count would there be a higher number of eligible boats for the overall series?

Including the nationals as one of the events would, I believe, result in a higher number of eligible boats for the series – you are more likely to get the highest number of entries at the nationals, so if boats only had to compete in the Nationals plus three other events, rather than 4 Open events, you would get more eligible boats – I believe that in most normal years (i.e. Nationals sailed in GB rather than Ireland) all who are eligible for the Series will also enter the nationals…….

In 2011, there were 4 eligible boats (but Brian Lamb and John Goudie would also have been eligible if ‘Option 3’ applied and Quentin Strauss and Mike Pearce would only have been one event away (Shoreham, perhaps?) from being eligible)
    In 2010, there were only 9 eligible boats, and all 6 Opens were sailed. There were an additional 6 boats who sailed in only three events, and at least 5 of these sailed at the nationals. So including the Nationals as per Option 3, in 2010 would have resulted in over a 50% increase in boats eligible for the Series. Notwithstanding this, only having 9 boats eligible for the National Series is pretty poor.

I think the committee should grab the bull by the horns and keep the 6 events, plus the Nationals, but have the best 4 events to count for the Series – there will definitely be a higher number of eligible boats and the winner of the nationlas will seen be seen as the Overall Wayfarer National Champion

I would ask people to vote for option 3 and see if it works. If it doesnt, we can always go back to the same old same old……….

Trevor
    Meg

bigal

For many years I organised the Merlin Silver Tiller events and during that time I suggested that the results should be weighted in favour of the meetings with larger attendences . Thus if the Nationals are to be included and there are more entries than other open meetings then first might be given 0.5 ,second 1.7 and third 3 . Given that a change on these lines ( or something similar ) is introduced I would be in favour of the Nationals being included . For the Silver Tiller 20 entries or more qualified the event for bonus points .

Dear Members
    Three days to go to record your vote! Please note that your both your Racing Secretary (Mike) and your Assistant Racing Secretary Designate for next year (me) are firmly in favour of option one (the status quo).

Personally, I cannot see how including the National Champs in the National Circuit series will produce any more boats on the water next year.

I think that we should set a target of getting 50 boats on the water at Medway Yacht Club for the 2012 Nationals. We are already in discussion with Medway about putting a special training day in place on the Thursday before the champs start, and perhaps we can get some sponsorship in place so that we offer a discounted rate for bronze fleet entries, as we did so successfully at Weymouth. There is free camping at Medway so cost should not be a barrier. And the first day of racing will be on the last day of the summer term in the state sector, so hopefully families will come.

A realist target for individual National Circuit Series is 20-25 boats per event, and I think with the programme of attractive venues that Mike has put together, this is a realistic target. Fingers crossed for some good weather!

Regards
    Steve

I

finlay

I wish to vote for option 3

sailfree
    Steve Collins wrote:
    Dear Members
    Personally, I cannot see how including the National Champs in the National Circuit series will produce any more boats on the water next year.

I think that we should set a target of getting 50 boats on the water at Medway Yacht Club for the 2012 Nationals. We are already in discussion with Medway about putting a special training day in place on the Thursday before the champs start, and perhaps we can get some sponsorship in place so that we offer a discounted rate for bronze fleet entries, as we did so successfully at Weymouth. There is free camping at Medway so cost should not be a barrier. And the first day of racing will be on the last day of the summer term in the state sector, so hopefully families will come.

I

With the introduction of the Mk IV there are many new sailors both in the Mk IV and the among those that bought good secondhand Wayfarers. The Bough Beech results show that older wayfarers with good helm & crew can still be up there.

We have an opportunity to involve new sailors by making them welcome. The obvious way is a statement to the effect “new sailors to the class are welcome and encouraged to take part. For this reason the race entry fee for anyone who has never participated in the Wayfarer Nationals is reduced to £20. To encourage all to take part the less experience sailors allocated bronze fleet status the entry fee is reduced to 50%. All levels of sailing ability are welcome.”

Start with the nationals , make them an important part of the series (I like bigals suggestion of weighting the results so that the bigger the fleet the more significant the result). If we get the nationals attendance up then more will attend regional events that are convenient. Most Wayfarer sailors are mature and have lives outside of sailing with often many family commitments and with the best will in the world simply cannot attend all or even most of the events that count. I believe many would make the effort for the nationals if they were encouraged and if a regional events was convenient they will attend especially if say best 3 event results plus the nationals counted (that would encourage them to attend more – or in our case all – hoping that we would do better at the next event!).

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

It is going to be very interesting to see how many of the people who want seven opens next year will be able to turn up for them all?? Look at how many did this year!
    And also how many clubs who will be willing to run an open on the off chance and hope of a large entry.
    Clubs will be asking for financial guaranties to back this up from the class, can we aford this?
    Not eveyone will go to seven when your only need four for the series and so i think we will have some opens with very few entries and some with lots.
    We are going to spread ourselves very thin with this idea.
    CP

HENRY AND ELAINE of W10695 would like to vote for option 3 in relation to next year’s series, ie 4 events to count out of 7 (including nationals). we are more likley to attempt to compete in four events including the nationals if the vote goes this way. all the hairy chest!

margie1

I would vote for option 3 –

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.