Latest News: Forums Racing IMPORTANT Rule Changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • AUTHOR

There are three important rule changes to be voted upon at the AGM on the 2nd March at the Dinghy Show at Ally Pally.

These are:

removal of the requirement to have compulsory buoyancy endorsements on measurement certificates
      approval of twin-spinnaker poles
      banning of sophisticated electronic aides

Your Excomm has voted to recommend all three rule changes. Do you agree with them? This is your chance to influence opinion before the AGM, but you will need to be there in person if you want to vote.

Check out the rule changes in full on website in full by clicking on the link below
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/WIC-Rule-Change-Proposals-to-be-voted-on-in-2013.pdf

Geof

I thought we were going to get an option to approve Carbon spi poles/jib sticks.

@Geof wrote:

I thought we were going to get an option to approve Carbon spi poles/jib sticks.

Interesting point, Geof I note that the proposed rule change doesn’t mention materials so presumably a carbon pole is OK. It will be important to clarify this before the meeting.

Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

The rule at the moment states wood or ali, if this new rule is instead of the exsisting rule then Id say carbon was in. If not then we will be stuck with ali and wood.
    I was asked about a rule proposal for carbon but it went out of my mind when sorting my trip, here to Australia so maybe we/I have missed the boat. Home soon to sunny England!
    CP

John1162

The proposed rule change is to clarify the position regarding the carrying of two spinnaker poles and that is all. It was never the intention to use the proposal to bolt on other changes. The rule change will allow a boat to be equipped with two spinnaker poles or one spinnaker pole and one jib stick but not two spinnaker poles and a jib stick.
    If you have a rule change in mind, Put it down on paper and pass it round a few people to see if it has any “following” then send it to the R&T committee along with a rationale and I will get back to you with comments etc.

Participant

@Steve Collins wrote:

It intrigues me which actual devices currently in the market are allowed under the current rule, but would be banned under the new rule. Anyone got a clue?

@7588 wrote:

@Steve Collins wrote:

It intrigues me which actual devices currently in the market are allowed under the current rule, but would be banned under the new rule. Anyone got a clue?

My Garmin handheld GPS, for example. I was very tempted to go to Poole Week a day earlier to sail round and add all the major marks as waypoints. The during the race my crew could give me bearings and distances to all the marks. Arguably, it would help neutralise the advantages of local knowledge!
    Steve

Geof

I don’t think that this rule changes what you can use but it legitimises carrying a VHF or mobile phone etc provided it is not used during racing (unless to call for help for another competitor).

If this rule is passed, it is not clear to me whether I can carry a GPS in recording mode and look at it later.
    I would welcome comments on that one.

Steve
    as an alleged local I got lost in Poole Week when one of the marks got moved ( well that is what I told my visiting crew) šŸ˜³

John1162

The use of all electrical or electronic devices or instruments is prohibited except for the following
    functions: time keeping, compass heading and changes thereof, or the recording of sound or photographic images.

This means that the tacktick micro compass is allowed but the racemaster is not. If you have a GPS on board it cannot be used whilst racing but if it was switched on and unavailable whilst racing you would at a later stage be able to look at your track. If you then use this information to help plan the next race of the day then you are in breach of the rule. For those sailors who use their GPS to record their route, and then let it be known, then they are at risk of being protested. Far better not to take the risk.

I have a nexus 7 fully loaded with raster charts and I use it as a chart plotter. It is very plain to see if you are being headed or if you get a lift. It is also very good for spotting the lay line to the next mark. It was these sort of functions the CWA had in mind when formulating the proposed rule change.

Participant

@Geof wrote:

If this rule is passed, it is not clear to me whether I can carry a GPS in recording mode and look at it later.
    I would welcome comments on that one.

It seems to me that leaving a GPS on in record mode does constitute ‘use’ (as generally understood) therefore is prohibited by the new rule. Indeed, any device that uses GPS was as much prohibited by the old rule as it is proposed to be under the new rule. Ditto other satellite or radio beacon based position finders/trackers, VHF and mobile phones.
    @John1162 wrote:

This means that the tacktick micro compass is allowed but the racemaster is not.

By my reading the Tacktick Racemaster was prohibited under the old rule but would be allowed under the new rule,
    1. Isn’t this contradictory to:-
    @Steve Collins wrote:

2. We use Tacktick Racemasters quite a bit on Dragons now, and Melges in the past. It has to be said we, like many others, don’t see value in setting (or adjusting) the wind direction or tacking angles.

In the past, being slightly sad, we have gone out to the race area before a regatta armed with tide sticks and GPS to better learn and make paper notes about the ‘lie of the land’. Incidentally this was not in a Wayfarer but in a class that allowed GPS whilst racing.

John1162

Optimise your start with the Micronet Race Master
    Your Micronet Race Master has the ability to capture the Line
    Perpendicular (the heading at right angles to windward of the start line)
    and to display the Line Bias angle and the favoured end of the line.

The above is from Tacktic. The proposed new rule allows the following functions: time keeping, compass heading and changes thereof. using the race master to work out line bias would not be allowed. I further note that the race master can also be coupled to hull sensors for speed and depth not that I expect a dinghy sailor to fit them.

Swiebertje
    Participant
    Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Maybe its the fact that I dont have much of a clue how to work many of the new things on the market in my sailing life and the world in general but id like to race against the best crews who can do things themselves without needing to resort to aids!
    Its so much better to be beaten by the better crew than the depth of a pocket or something that has not really come from a persons own ability.
    The start line is an important part of a race and to get it right yourself or see another crew do it better than you is so much more rewarding,
    Its all part of what we strive to do ourselves when we race, even if it is infuriating to see the best crews do it time after time!

So is having the best gadget to win with really what we want in the class, how about just doing the best we can ourselves?
    CP

Geof

@John1162 wrote:

The use of all electrical or electronic devices or instruments is prohibited except for the following
    functions: time keeping, compass heading and changes thereof, or the recording of sound or photographic images.

This means that the tacktick micro compass is allowed but the racemaster is not. If you have a GPS on board it cannot be used whilst racing but if it was switched on and unavailable whilst racing you would at a later stage be able to look at your track. If you then use this information to help plan the next race of the day then you are in breach of the rule. For those sailors who use their GPS to record their route, and then let it be known, then they are at risk of being protested. Far better not to take the risk.

I have a nexus 7 fully loaded with raster charts and I use it as a chart plotter. It is very plain to see if you are being headed or if you get a lift. It is also very good for spotting the lay line to the next mark. It was these sort of functions the CWA had in mind when formulating the proposed rule change.

I was not planning to use it for the next race of the day but to analyse it after getting home.

Participant

@John1162 wrote:

Your Micronet Race Master has the ability to capture the Line Perpendicular (the heading at right angles to windward of the start line) and to display the Line Bias angle and the favoured end of the line.

You are more upto date than I am, this is an add to later models, agreed this makes those out of class under the proposed rule. Though, it is only doing the maths you can do in your head.
    @Swiebertje wrote:

Velocitec proStart

No! It uses GPS and is banned already.
    @Colin Parkstone wrote:

how about just doing the best we can ourselves?

Agreed!
    @Geof wrote:

I was not planning to use it for the next race of the day but to analyse it after getting home.

@7588 wrote:

It seems to me that leaving a GPS on in record mode does constitute ‘use’ (as generally understood) therefore is prohibited by the new rule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.