Latest News: Forums Cruising Ideas for cruising in the Solent please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Could anybody help with ideas for cruising the Solent in Summer?

Say you started from Southampton Waters where would one go for a trip, maybe a couple of days or just an overnight? Lets assume for now that you do not have a Wayfarer tent.

Is there anywhere good for B&Bs or somewhere that you can berth the boat and pitch camp?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great place to plan a trip. I am planning a Reggie Perrin style event there for next year.

I have sailed there with the UKWA a couple of times and often join the Lymington Town SC events.

My favourite spots are Wootton Creek. Very beautifull with the added bonus of the friendly Royal Victoria Yacht Club. Easy to find simply by using the bouyage from Calshot.

The other place is the Newtown River, absoloutely lovely place which is largely a nature reserve. No facilities but outstandingly lovely.

Bembridge Harbour too is a super spot and has plenty going on. Visit the Brading and Haven YC (very friendly indeed)

Good luck with your planning, I hardly leave the charts alone lately. Please keep me informed, I would love to hear what you decide upon

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only time I sailed into Newtown Creek it was pitch dark and we left in the morning in thick fog, so not really get a good inpression. I do remember hearing lots of birds though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. The overnight bit is the complicated bit for me in planning terms, you have a superb cruising range but it is how you leave the boat overnight?Chichester harbour is a good destination….high tide takes you to some lovely spots….there are campsites walking distance from Northney Marina Hayling (Fleet farm) 2 miles, big hotel next door or the beautiful village of Langstone over the bridge (?B&B). There is also a campsite and prob accomm at Emsworth although I have not into sailed there. Itchenor is good to launch from (all states of tide) with excellent campsites perhaps 2-3 miles away. Bosham has top (price) B&B and stunning scenery/location with sailing club. Phone Chich. Harbour office or look at website. It is all about finding a pontoon or slipway where you can leave the boat. There are good anchorages in the harbour too (can give more details) but you need a boat tent or tender to get over the mud……

My Q to Jim is if overnighting Isle of Wight with friendly clubs do you use their slipway and take rollers or borrow a trolley or do you use their pontoons? Presumably they extend a welcome on the basis you are a member of a sailing club elsewhere (or are they just plain welcoming!?).

I feel happy leaving the boat on a pontoon overnight and slept in boat tent Bembridge pontoon but imagine they would not be very mellow places for sleeping peak season/weekends with yachts……..but a quiet place with next door camping……send me details by private message!

Otherwise look at Cruising logs here on UKWA website for inspiration or go to DCA website and look at old newsletters. I would add that anytime I have gone somewhere new I have been suprised by how helpful Harbour staff or Marina staff have been so phone calls are well worth it…….I always feel an extreme amateur in a small boat but they are there to help and enjoy doing it (so far so good!). Let us know what you get up to
    cheers Dave

Fantasia

There used to be a good and cheap campsite on the right in the trees as you go into Newtown Creek, lots of soft mud for the boat to dry out on. Walk up the river to the New Inn at Shalfleet.

Try this website too: http://www.troppo.co.uk/tightwad/tightwad.htm

Most of the creeks are wort exploration: Ashlett, Keyhaven, River Yar, Beaulieu above Bucklers Hard, etc

Anonymous
    Inactive

many thanks;

I agree that Chichester is a great place to explore, I particulary like sailing past the house windows in Bosham at high tide springs.

I once left Mrytle at Sparkes marina at the entrance to Chichester harbour overnight and walked around to the campsite at the end of Fishery creek, about 40minutes. I’ll get a taxi next time.

What about the Medina, are the any camp sites, does the Folly Inn provide accomodation, you feel it ought to?

John

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks John for the Tightwad link, really useful……on a practical level what technique do you recommend for getting accross the soft mud to the campsite Newtown (if the site is still there)?
    re.Chichester Harbour ……update on the Fishery Creek campsite Hayling ……they have always been full and do not seem too interested in one night only stays……..I think they are after long stay advance booking caravans (fair enough I suppose!) …….
    cheers Dave

Fantasia

I have heard from someone else that the camp site that I mentioned is closed now, but there is another scout camp, they allow occasional visitors, further up the creek towards Shalfleet on the left hand side. I have looked at the 2.5″ OS map of IOW and it is marked. Only try to go up and leave this far up the creek at the top of the tide.

My really practical solution to crossing the soft mud is don’t. Make sure that you have landed, stay in the boat or even better stay in the pub until there is enough water.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks John……….one day I am going to get there…….I’ve bought the maps…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.