Latest News: Forums Cruising I really hate engines …

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    fundoctor
    Participant

I really hate engines – many things to go wrong beyond the control of the basic DIYer. While my 3.3HP Mariner 2-stroke is in intensive care after “failure to start” I am eye-ing up a DT2.5 Suzuki 4-stroke. On a typical cruise I may never or occasionally use the engine and like to keep it well out of sight. The Mariner snucks in beautifully under the seats on S/Board side in front of the thwart. My issue – according to my measurements the Suzuki will not fit in that space. The throttle handle makes the unit 13” height and there is only 11′ under my seating. Foiled? One thought is to take the handle off and replace before use. The guy in the shop was against this proposal. Has anyone ideas for storing a small 4-stroke out of sight under the front seats? Cheers Trev

fundoctor
    Participant

Update – have bought the Suzuki and am planning to store it with the throttle handle disconnected. Dealer thought this was a bad idea. But otherwise I’d have to keep it on the transom. Don’t really think WF transoms like having engines on them – some interesting cracks appearing.

Jonathan Ferguson
    Participant

Have you thought about using an outboard bracket? Many Wayfarer cruisers (including myself) will tell you that the best place for an outboard to be at any time is on the bracket, ready to use, and therefore cruise with it there all the time. The bracket also assists in keeping it clear of the mainsheet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.