Latest News: Forums Cruising How to get a Wayfarer valued

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fundoctor

‘Farers

I am in a three-way dinghy-share and one of the triad wishes to sell his share. We other two might want to buy that third share. But the question then is – what is a fair price? Quite hard to pitch the price of a Wayfarer. Has anyone any ideas? If this was done is some way objectively the seller might accept our offer without any haggling.

Data:
    Mk2
    Pretty tidy
    Good combi
    Old sails
    Set for cruising
    Basic controls

Be most interested in your advice

Trevor

Geof

Ian Porter buys and sells secondhand Wayfarers so would be best placed to value a boat.
    Ask him what it would cost to value the boat – he can work from photos.

PeterW3035

Check in the Wayfarer news classifieds or on the UKWA website, always a good indication of what people are asking price wise but not necessarily what they achieve.

Fundoctor

Hi – called him – does not do valuations – says market is very depressed at present – literally thousands coming off the prices of boats ;-(

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Never a good time of the year to sell or price a boat, end of season with no likely hood of a sail till next year and all the winter work to be done for nothing in return.
    Could be a good time for you though but you do want to be fair as you say.
    With the new boat selling well, other marks will take a hit but what is new about that,(Cars, motor bikes ect)
    I do think we all should look deeper into what we expect from the sale of a dinghy and take into account how old it is, the market and that we have a new version to choose from.
    Yes your want the best price but if know one wants to buy a Wayfarer be it time of year or the cost to high your never sell it.
    Be realistic, do you want to sell it really or are you just selling for a good price in a buyers market.
    As for the value, do as the other say and look around at the market, Apoloduck is one place, online boat sales site and Boats and Outboards as well.
    What is your sail number, or should i say the hull number as its not always the same on some boats.
    Best of luck,
    CP

Fundoctor

Colin

Our boat is 9002

Mk2
    Pretty tidy
    Good combi
    Old sails
    Set well for cruising
    Basic controls

Few repairs needed (leaking into front buoyancy)
    Not got deck hardware for spinnaker
    As-new engine worth £350

I have dug around as suggested and have a price in mind – but interested if any ‘Farers woudl like to make an estimate.

Note this boat is owned three ways. One owner wishes to sell so we are looking to either buy out the migrant owner or find a new person for a third share.

KRs
    Trevor

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Two thousand to two and a 1/4 without looking at it but it is the end of the season and how much is needed to be done to that front tank I wonder, its not the easiest of jobs to do as your do one area then your find the next which is often on the front tank top which a devil to get too!
    Thats without the engine, you would probably keep that anyway if you sold it!
    Not sure if that helps, only my opinion,
    CP

Fundoctor

CP

I think you are a good judge – from ApolloDuck I figured about £2.5K with engine (worth £350)

TT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.