Latest News: Forums Racing How much are you prepared to pay to enter the Championships?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • AUTHOR

Just to remind everyone that there has never been any question of umpiring a Wayfarer event. All the discussion has been about ensuring that the chairman of the protest committee, who, for a National Championships of an ISAF International class, should be a National Judge, is of the pro-active sub-species of the genus homo refereeus! In other words, someone who goes out on the water in a RIB, sees what is happening on the water, talks to the Race Committee and, if problem arises, has an input into finding a solution that does not involve competitors and race officials sending the evening in the protest room.

Big Al’s posting is eloquent – there was no protest, there was no pressure on him to retire. My intervention was aimed at preventing, in the future, a messy protest. Big Al’s decision to retire was a gentlemanly and sportsmanlike gesture.

On the subject of a small levy for events – a class association has a numbe of functions that require funding. Using a levy system is a valid way of sourcing such funding, as long as the association provides a service. For instance the Irish Team Racing Association (with which I am involved) charges 10 euros per team at team racing events. In return we assist (eg write) with race documents (NOR ans SIs) and recruit umpires. No organiser has yet objected.

In order to advance the debate, may I offer my services at a Circuit event sometime this year so that a wider group of racers may see for themselves how we can help improve racing (in return for being collected from nearest airport and a night “chez l’habitant” that is a club member)

Gordon

bigal

Gosh Gordon you know how to flatter a guy !!

I live close to Gatwick and can put you up so let’s earmark the Shoreham meeting at the end of June – I’ll have to clear it with the Shoreham Committee first tho’

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

30 euro return that weekend at the moment Gordon with the Irish National Airline !!!

Awaiting news of another event on that date. Looks like I’m free for Grafham weekend however, but not sure about airports nearby.

Gordon

Michael Mckechnie and I had a very constructive meeting with Liam McGrath and Ian Fraser (Race Officer for Falmouth Week), facilitated by our ever diplomatic chairman Quentin, at the Dinghy Show last week.

We agreed that:

1. There will NO UKWA levy to cover race organisation costs

2. Consequently, there will be NO onwater judging and NO official UKWA measurer at the championships

Michael, Liam, Ian and I will form an unofficial race committee and we will sit down after sailing each day to review the races sailed. The Race Office WILL be ready protest competitors who sail the wrong course, and we WILL address any other issues which are brought to our attention by competitors. Clearly if any of these issues relate to Mike, Liam or myself (who will all be competing during the week) we will step down from the discussion.

Our aim will be to resolve issues through mediation and arbitration rather than formal protest whereever possible.

We will be sailing on the same course area as other classes competing in Falmouth Week. We agreed that the Wayfarers will start 2 minutes after the Asymmetrics class.

There will be two relatively short races (50-60 minutes) sailed back to back each day (apart from one day where the aim is have one longer race around the harbour). Race 1 will be triangle-sausage courses. Race 2 will be windward-leeward courses.

Thanks to those who have posted comments on this forum and those who have voted in the poll.

I think that it’s a great idea to try out on-water judging at the Southern Area Champs and I hope that it happens. I am confident that some members’ objections to judging will disappear once they have experienced it.

It’s guranteed to be a great week’s sailing at Falmouth. Book your accommodation NOW!

Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Ooh !!! A money back Guarantee, National Champion or your money back.

Good job i have booked as i think the places should be taken fast!!!

All good moves Steve and the trial at Shoreham is a great way to start the hangings as they have a good balcony to hang the class pirates from and can feed them to the local ” Cuttlefish ” !!

It was not the judging I did not like, it was just the costs at this time!

I do like a claret swigging Judge in a blond wig and i am not talking about

Rumpole, more like Judge Judy !!!

See You All in Court

C P 🙂

bigal

Having sailed in Dinghy week at Falmouth I do fear that the race course will become very crowded if more than two laps are sailed . This fear will be allayed if the beats are sufficiently long , say a nautical mile at least !

I would also have preferred two round the harbour races – anyone else ??

@bigal wrote:

I do fear that the race course will become very crowded if more than two laps are sailed . This fear will be allayed if the beats are sufficiently long , say a nautical mile at least !

We will be using the same windward mark as the Asymmetric fleet, which will be a longer beat than the handicap class that follows us, but we will inevitably come across other classes on the course.

However, as far as I know, there will be no cross-Channel ferries carving their way througn the fleet!

Steve

bigal

Thanks Steve .

The equivalent of Condor at Falmouth used to be an oil-rig parked in the middle of one leg of the course !!!

Liam

If there is a wish for some round the harbour racing, I am sure this can be arranged, the norm is to include this on the last day in any event.
    Liam

RayS

It is the Harbour racing which makes Falmouth special – so 2 or 3 would be good! Ray

Liam

I am down there tomorrow doing work on my other boat so will be seeing Ian Fraser and will see what we can sort out.
    Liam

bigal

….only ONE other boat Liam . Now I do believe there is a recession !!!

bigal

Trying to download the Wayf notice of race and entry form from the website but it keeps asking me for a password .
    I’ve tried all mine without success !!

Why is a password needed ?

bigal

For the Champs at Falmouth that is .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.