Latest News: Forums Introductions Hi from Devon!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Porttackflyer 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR

Porttackflyer
    Participant

Hi

I’m in Devon and have just joined.

I’m currently looking for a boat for general daysailing (with my wife and 2 young children (6 & 8).  Hopefully, we will also do some cruising in the future

I’ve seen quite a nice Wayfarer World locally but I’m concerned the Worlds may not be the best to go for, for a cruising boat.  Lack of stowage, wet floors and a propensity for turning turtle are putting me off a little.  I guess the use of some secured dry bags could solve the stowage issue and the boat I viewed had an inflating masthead bag to stop it going turtle.  Can anyone advise that uses a World for cruising?

Thanks

Adam

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Adam,

One of the advantages on the World is that is comes up from a capsize with very little water in it and can be sailed away rather than needing a lot of bailing. Inverted they are difficult to get back up, however with a masthead buoyancy you should be ok. Anyway best approach is capsize prevention,  a good slab reefing system on the main plus a jib are minimum requirement,  better still aeroluff roller reefing on the genoa.

For day sailing the extra space in World might be appreciated sailing 4 up, and some dri-bags will sort the stowage. Water can get in from the transom flaps and pole  hole in the bow, both can be taped up which will help keep the floor dry.

Stowage does become a problem for camping on board, so if that’s your ambition the other marks are better. And if it rains keeping the floor dry is a big problem on the World.

We cruised a World for nearly 10 years, before moving on to a woodie.

Hope that helps

Porttackflyer
    Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, it’s very helpful.

The World sounds great for daysailing but I really would like to be able to camp on board so I am thinking perhaps I should wait for a suitable mk1 or mk2.

How are you finding the woodie?  I do love the look of the wooden boats, but the maintenance concerns me somewhat.  There is an epoxy coated one for sale locally, does this mean the maintenance required is greatly reduced?

Thanks

Adam

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Adam, we are able to keep the boat under cover and out of the rain and sun, so maintenance has been minimal.

The epoxy built boats should last well as long as they are looked after, that is don’t let any water get under the varnish or paint.

If you are looking at a boat do remove the floorboards and check the frames, ex racing boats look for collision damage.

Sun is the main problem so a cover that encloses the transom is good ,

Hope that helps

Bob Harland
    Participant

We have  had the boat 10 years and have not repainted the hull, though it probably needs  it now. The foredeck  has not been revarnished, the side decks and aft deck have been done twice, all 2 pack polyurethane. I should say the boat was in excellent condition when we bought it.

Hope that helps

Porttackflyer
    Participant

Thanks Bob, great info and very helpful.  I think I will now also include woodies in my search for a boat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.