Latest News: Forums Cruising help: are you a Wayfarer in NE of England?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    howard

Hi, I’m about to move from the sunny Severn to somewhere near York. Can anyone suggest a sailing club or venue in the NE of England that is interested in dinghy cruising? Or failing that any Wayfarer owners in the NE that I could make contact with to finds out where they sail? I’m afraid I’m not interested in racing, which seems to be the primary interest in the sailing clubs I can see on the web.

Hi,
    I am in the North East but a long way from York in Berwick upon Tweed. The clubs around the York area are generally on small rivers or lakes and thus not ideal for cruising. You need the bigger lakes or the North Sea coast which can be challenging for dinghy cruising (which is why I have a Wayfarer as no other dinghy will do when the sea breeze brings in the swell). You may need to travel further afield. Kielder Water (I have a small yacht going there next year) is cruising heaven. The dinghy club run organised cruises on the lake all the time and also plan group cruising at other locations such as the Lakes or West coast of Scotland. The lakes themselves are not that far away but I wouldn’t want to be going there from York each weekend. Most of the coastal clubs are restricted by the exposed nature of the north sea coast so cruising is very weather dependant. At least at Berwick we can sail in the estuary and even up the River Tweed when the tide is in and the sea is rough.
    Dave

Kilda
    Participant

I am on the north west coast and have been looking at planning a trip on the east coast at some point. I should imagine with the prevailing winds being westerly that a window for some some good coastal cruising would be open more often than here? Plenty of winter cod about there too!

@Kilda wrote:

I am on the north west coast and have been looking at planning a trip on the east coast at some point. I should imagine with the prevailing winds being westerly that a window for some some good coastal cruising would be open more often than here? Plenty of winter cod about there too!

Trouble is that most of the North Sea coast is very shallow so any wind with a bit of east in quickly brings in the surf, particularly at low tide. We can go out in a gentle westerly on my bit of coast only for the sun to come out and bring on an easterly sea breeze in minutes. Ideal for Wayfarers mind, way better in a sea way than any other boat.

Kilda
    Participant

@sailingdave wrote:

@Kilda wrote:

Trouble is that most of the North Sea coast is very shallow so any wind with a bit of east in quickly brings in the surf, particularly at low tide. We can go out in a gentle westerly on my bit of coast only for the sun to come out and bring on an easterly sea breeze in minutes. Ideal for Wayfarers mind, way better in a sea way than any other boat.

Thanks for enlightening me, i will take those points into account when planning a trip. I have been looking at South shields to Holy Isle. There are a lot of havens in the form of stone harbours in between. (Roll on 2013)

South Shields is great, as is Tynemouth the other side of the river. The inner harbour area that is sheltered by the outer breakwaters is huge so good sailing can be had with any wind direction. Going north things get trickier. Newbiggin SC recently had a massive investment but I’ve heard stories that the club is going backwards in terms of numbers etc!. Amble only a few members. Alnmouth even smaller and not very practicle. Beadnell is great spot but getting into the SC and getting a space in their dinghy park may be impossible. No club at Holy Island plus difficult access over tidal causeway. Gets well rough around Holy Island sometimes. Another 10 miles north is Berwick upon Tweed SC (me). I used to do Holy Island and back in an hour when I had a formula 18 cat, not so quick in the Wayfarer mind. Then inland from Newcastle is Derwent Reservoir which is a great club with superb racing if that is what you want.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.