Latest News: Forums Introductions Hello…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Coveney 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Hello all,

Just acquired nice old (1976) Mk2. Returning to sailing after 15 years or so….. so please forgive the stupid questions that will probably follow!

I’ve ordered the Wayfarer book, but are there any basics guides to rigging, mast footing and general setting up the Wayfarer up?

One quick specific question – the seller suggested the forestay fits directly onto the lower furling bobbins…is this right?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Paul Latimer
    Participant

Hi Paul

in a similar position to you having also recently acquired Mark 2 and trying to find my way around. To be honest feeling pretty overwhelmed and on a steep learning curve. I have found two documents which seem pretty good, follow the links below and they will answer some of your questions.

regards

Paul

http://www.cautionwater.com/article.aspx?articleid=84 

http://www.coldhamhallsailingclub.co.uk/sailing/wayfarersetup/wayfarersetuppdf.pdf

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Paul, the links above should help. There are lots of variations in how boats are rigged, most commonly the wire forestay would be a few cm short of the bow and a rope tail secures it to the fitting on the bow. So not to the “bobbin” (furling drum).

Assuming you have a wire jib halyard with some sort of tensioning device (highfield lever/multi part pulley) the  jib halyard tensions the rig and the forestay is only there to stop the mast falling down when the jib is lowered.

bob

Paul Coveney
    Participant

Thanks Paul and Bob – that’s helpful. I’ve also order a copy of the Wayfarer book from the shop on here, so hoping that will help too.

Bob – yes I thought that it sounded a bit odd to fix the forestay to the furling drum and using a rope tail for the last few inches makes perfect sense now.  Not got as far as the jib/halyard yet…. one for the weekend!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.