Latest News: Forums Technical Heath Bosun steering compass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    tempest51

So I was given a great looking steering compass recently, one that can easily be mounted on or around the thwart. Alas, to my total chagrin, there were no instructions with it. It has a moving bezel that shows the lubber line very clearly and 45 degree tacking angles, that can easily be viewed from the sides. I can’t quite figure out why the revolving bezel has the 360 degrees printed on the outside edge, as when sailing all i need is the lubber line aligned parallel with the boat’s centre line? On land I would use a small compass with an OS map to easily get bearings and direction as long as I know the exact location of where I am starting from. Somehow I can’t see the same logic applies here. I bet swiebertje knows why and what to use it for?

Swiebertje
    Participant

It is a compass designed for the elder sailor.
    IMHO The bezel is intended for sailors that suffer from Altzheimer’s disease and can’t remember where they should be going.

When I still had a compass like that, I used the bezel to log the number of beers I still owed to my friends.
    Today I own a real racing compass with dual scales and dual offset lubber lines, and I still don’t know where I am going….

About compasses on a Wayfarer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.