Latest News: Forums Cruising Hartley cruising wayfarer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • AUTHOR

Collected my new toy today – 10512. Maiden voyage planned for tomorrow. Plenty of pictures in due course, but just to make sure we keep the focus on what is really important, I offer a glimpse of the for’ard sleeping compartment in action. I can see we are going to have plenty of fun with this!!

W10143

Charles

Congratulations – I hope you can manage to seal up the transom!

David

Update: Maiden voyage completed. Definitely much livelier than the Mk2 GRP that I’ve been sailing. Conditions were quite a respectable force 3 (on the UKWA cruising scale) with some good gusts (assertive force 3 perhaps). Sufficient for about half the other relatively inexperienced boats on the lake take a swim. In the best Wayfarer style my 15 year old daughter and I just leant our further and put on bigger smiles!

We eventually decided to do a capsize practice, and with quite a bit of effort managed to get the boat over. Plenty of time to make our way to the back and round to the centreboard, but it clearly would invert if left to its own devices having capsized to leeward. The good news is that Clare (5ft 3 ish and 8 st 10) was able to get up onto the centreboard and with the aid of the jibsheet was able to get the boat up by herself. She was also able to climb in over the slinky transom. (what do you mean…don’t mention the transom?? OK. Won’t do it again.) The combination of flaps and twin self bailers meant we just ignored the water in the boat and got on with sailing whilst it sorted itself out.

Another pleasant surprise was pulling it up the slipway. I’ve always needed two adults when pulling the Mk2 up this particular slipway. We managed this time without any great difficulty and certainly without the smiles slipping.

Just to balance the story, Richard Hartley is very open about the fact that my boat is to some extent a bit of a prototype, and so he is very receptive to suggestions for changes. First up is the 2:1 purchase on the mainsheet which I found hard work in the conditions. Am I a wuss? Anyway, Richard phoned this morning to find out how we’d got on, and the mainsheet will be changed on Friday. Next up will be some method of cleating the anchor rope.

Bottom line: It isn’t the same as a Mk2 GRP, the Hartleys are very pleasant to do business with, and I am struggling to stop smiling.

Whilst the focsle looks quite comfortable for the powder monkeys and ship’s boys (and girls) I would be grateful for details of the captain’s accomodation.

Would it be possible to measure the distance between the cockpit floor and the underside of the thwart? On my Ml 1a the lack of legroom does tend to curtail the commanding officer’s post pandial slumber!

Gordon

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Great stuff Charles! I look forward to seeing you on the water.

Gordon,

A fine attitude! Sun is over the yardarm, get out the Pims and all that. Leave the skivvies sponging down the decks!

In terms of length, there is 5ft 6in from transom to thwart. This assumes you either leave the aft luggage box at home, or move it up front overnight. (It is very simple to move). In terms of height under thwart, this varies (see photo, complete with rain and leaves!). The higher bit near the centreboard casing has 11 inches clearance. This bit is 10 inches wide, at which point clearance drops to 10 inches. I’m not sure what the clearance is on a Mk2, but I think this is better. The length is also miles better, though not as good as the worlds where the thwart is further forward so clearance is infinite. Having seen ‘world’ cruisers in camping mode, it seems that leaving the box behind is the norm.

Not a Pims man myself – more tinned sardines, patĂ© Henaff, Camenbert and a litre of “rouge”… must be the 20 years I spent in Britanny! In any case the disgestive siesta is an essential part of any serious potter!

Tomorrow I’ll get out my tape measure and analyse my recumbent form.

Gordon

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting measurements – I hate to boast, but as they say ‘size matters’! My woodie has 111/2 inches, which makes Hartley boats pretty good.
    If only we cruisers could find more weighty matters to argue over than the height of the thwart, then we could be racers too!
    Blast – promised myself I wouldn’t comment!!

John1162

Very impressive quarter berths Charles. I had a quarter berth fitted on my World, which used a piece of plywood to extend the forward shelf to the thwart and this in turn was supported on a plywood box. It was fine for children but a little tight round the shoulders for me. Without too much modification I can see that it would be possible for you to do the same assuming the shelf is strong enough.

I look forward to seeing your new boat on the water, and perhaps having a little go in it?

Only one problem as far as I can see. Where is the shock cord that holds the wine box in place?
    John.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nobody has asked the BIG question yet
    ” What is it’s name” ??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps ‘Misfit’ would not be inappropriate in the current climate?

W10143

And there was I thinking Whiter than White might be more appropriate!

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Or perhaps ‘Miss-shapen’

Anonymous
    Inactive

Charles, bring her down to Poole Harbour sometime. A sail around the islands would be a treat in your New baby.

Let me know if you ever go there and I will join you in Naomi

Jim
    Naomi6720

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.