Latest News: Forums General Halyads and hulls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, just bought a mark 2 and need to replace a few bits. Can anyone recommend where to buy new halyads, what size for cruising and light racing, and is there a polish to protect a two-tone grp hull ?

Thanks

Jonny

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jonny,
    $mm for the main halyard – get something low stretch like Dyneema. The genoa halyard should be wire – I haven’t heard of anyone successfully achieving sufficient rig tension with anything else.
    Northampton Sailboats recently had some Dyneema on offer (http://www.sailboats.co.uk).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Of course what I really meant was 4mm!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Matt, I’ll have a look
    Jonny

Bob Harland
    Participant

Matt obviously has very tough fingers – I would advise 5mm dia for the main halyard.
    Some people use a bobble on the end, but I prefer a shackle – you can sew a small eye into the rope with a sailmakers needle and thread, either way iyou can haul the headboard right to the top of the mast.
    And I would agree on the genoa halyard, you should have wire and a muscle box or highfield lever to apply the tension. A decent dinghy chandler will be able to supply a wire genoa halyard made up with the fittings for either option. I would guess the highfield lever is cheaper and easier to fit – but in operation is less sophisticated and requiring more strength.
    Assuming you carry a jib – you will probably have a shorter luff, so just get a wire strop made up for the difference.

I usually use P&B http://www.pinbax.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gentlemen thanks for this good advice. The new sheets and halyads have arrived and are glorious.

Thanks again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.