Latest News: Forums Technical Got the vibes.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Hoggy

Just a quicky, I have noticed that I can feel a resonance (slight vibration) when I am at a reasonable speed. Could someone tell me if it is the centre board that needs attention? I will check it, but you know what that involves so I thought I would ask first.

Thanks,
    Geoff.

bigal

Does it vanish when the C/B is raised ?

I have had some vibration in the past but it has come from the rudder .

Swiebertje
    Participant

When the board starts to buzz the skipper starts to shreak for joy.
    It is an indicator you are going fast and efficient.

Hoggy

Thanks for your replies, I like the idea I am sailing fast and efficient. I will check the rudder but I am fairly sure it comes from the CB area.

Thanks,
    Geoff.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Do you have a slot gasket on the keel, is it whole or do you have any frayed bits hanging off it?
    Maybe the centreboard is loose in the box, movement from side to side on the bolt.
    Pack the sides of the centreboard to the width of the box above the keel line.
    Keelband loose or lifted from the hull!
    Bad shape and finish to the centreboard !
    CP

admin

It’s probably vortex shedding; curls of higher speed water that oscilate from one side to the other of the rudder.

The likely causes are a little bit of slop between the rudder and the stock or some minor imperfection on the leading edge of the rudder or centreboard.

I think it is great when the boat talks back to you and it generally happens at speed. Just hum along with the boat and enjoy it!

Board buzz and rudder judder are quite normal and I don’t consider it a good sail unless I have experienced one or both!

Hoggy

I have checked the keel band and the slot gasket and they are both ok. There is no slack in the rudder stock the leading edge of the rudder is fine also. I will check the centre board some time but, in the mean time I will put it down to my amazing sailing ability. 😆

Cheers to all,
    Geoff.

bigal

At Shoreham we plane very fast on the waves but since I have had Milanes foils for both C/B and rudder I have had no noise

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

And No Money Also !!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.