Latest News: Forums Technical Genoa Halyard Sheave

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hi,

The sheave for the genoa halyard on Bobbins mast (The older type) seems to have a lot of movement side to side within itself.

[attachment=0:1cur576t]Capture.JPG[/attachment:1cur576t]

This allows the wire halyard to slip in between the pulley and the metal section and seize.

Is this how they are meant to be?
    Does anybody still stock these at a reasonable price considering they are probably an obsolete fitting?

Many thanks,

George

admin

It’s a little hard to tell from the photograph but it looks as though the cheeks of the sheave box are bowing out, maybe it’s a loose fit in the slot in the mast?

Have you tried just squeezing the assembly in a vice to push the cheeks back until they are closer to the sheave, then packing the opening in the mast so that they cannot spring out again? Some pieces of aluminium cut to size and epoxied in place should do it.

If not , although you may not be able to get exactly the same fitting, you can get replacement ones from the likes of Pinnell & Bax, don’t be worued about filing out the mast to make a new one fit, the alloy is quite soft. Pop-rivet a new one in or use self-tappers but make sure you use a [assivating gel to prevent corrosion between steel screws and alloy mast.

Swiebertje
    Participant

It looks like a Tufnol sheave. I am quite certain my old mast had Aluminium alloy sheaves. In other words this sheave may not be original and perhaps it is a little smaller then the original.
    Sheaves are available in every possible size, check the Internet or ask your chandler.

Thanks for your replies.

I am going to look into new ones, but I might have a go at repairing my one before I buy a new one.

Thanks,

George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.