Latest News: Forums Technical Genoa halyard length

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hi all,
    I am replacing the existing rope jib/genoa halyard for a wire one, can anyone tell me how to work out the length of wire and a good method of tensioning. I will be cruising and light racing.
    Thanks
    Vince W7584

howard

I used what is probably the simplest setup, which is a highfield lever mounted on the mast to tension the wire:
    eg http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Catalogue~Holt_Highfield_Lever~p_HA4260~c4752.html

I used an old wire halyard to measure the length of the wire needed, but positioned the highfield after the wire had been made just to take account of small errors and get the usual tension somewhere in the middle of its range. The only problem was to properly tension the genoa & mast while I measured the length – I put a the setup under proper tension with a temporary block and tackle onto the spinnaker ring on the mast before measuring.

Other tensioning options include muscle boxes or block arrangements usually somewhere near the centerboard case. You may be able to get good tension more easily and/or adjust on the fly. Others are better able to advise on these things.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Ask for three mm, 7×19 stainless wire. Good hard eye at sail end and a soft eye at the lever end about four inches long.

Rope tail, four mm, pre stretch, three strand so as to make a nice rope eye through the wire soft eye.
    Over buy the rope tail,it gets worn fast, so can be respliced at the good end and chopped off at the bad.

Wire does stretch some from new so do not be surprised if the rig goes soft,just reset the tension again.

C P 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.