Latest News: Forums Technical genoa halyard and mainsheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

Please could someone tell me what knot, bow or connection is usually used to join the wire part of the furling genoa halyard to the rope, and the mainsheet to the pulley block on the boom.
    I have just had a ride in a lifeboat because I may have got it wrong!
    Thanks
    Richard Walker

krgough
    Participant

Hi,

Woops that doesn’t sound like fun. As a kid once in the north of Scotland, someone called the coastguard out to “save” me. I wasn’t even on the water – just standing on the beach with my mirror dinghy looking at the 3 foot surf. There was no way I was going out. Coastguard came belting through the village – two’s and blues and all that – highly embarassing or character building – take your choice 😉

Anyway my setup is like this..

Genoa wire has a soft loop (wire looped back on itself and crimped, as opposed to one with a metal insert or thimble) rope tail is eye-spliced onto the wire loop. You have to keep the ends of the eye-splice tidy and tapered so that you can get it to go round the pulley at the bottom of the mast – mine tends to stick a bit.

Mainsheet is attached to boom pulley using a bowline – leave a small amount of tail to the bowline to stop it pulling through.

regards

Keith

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,

I agree with Keith’s knots etc., but I’m a bit anxious about the link (pun) between the genoa halyard and you needing to be rescued. The rope tail at the bottom end of the genoa halyard (it is this rope that you mean, is it?) is only there to allow you to pull the wire part out of the mast when you go to rig the boat (a bit like the bits of string electricians use to pull cable through floors, except more permanent). Once the genoa is hoisted and tensioned (perhaps with Highfield lever or muscle box?) the rope tail isn’t meant to take any load at all – it’s just coiled and neatly stowed. It should be the wire loop that you hook onto whatever device you use to obtain/keep tension in the halyard.

You may very well know all this already, but I would hate anyone reading this to be unclear about the role of the rope tail and get into difficulties as a consequence. If you were to use the rope as a load-bearing part of the halyard the wire would cut through the rope in no time…

I would encourage you to come to any of the UKWA organised training events if you feel at all uncertain about any aspect of your setup or sailing ability. The tidal training in September might be of interest to you?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.