Latest News: Forums Introductions Gav102 reporting in.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Gav102

Hi all.

I acquired W4559, a yellow decked MkII, at the end of last summer from a family I have known for years. Sadly 4559 had ended up on rocks and then lay for 3 years and was due for the scrap heap, but I decided to take a deep breath and purchase her as there was some sentimental value for the seller to see her on the water again. I have spent the winter restoring her to as near her former glory as one can with a 35 year old MkII and will hopefully have her on the water in about 10 days. Although I live on the Clyde and am only 15 minutes from Loch Lomond and and about 20 from Helensburgh, most of my sailing is done off the Dumfries & Galloway coast.

As I own W4559 I should perhaps explain the “102” part of my alias. Having gone solo in a Mirror dinghy in my early teens(M25756) I did most of my sailing in W102, a 1959 Woodie which I have fond memories of. (I will explain more later.) However, it may be of interest to fellow member gpsmout that my father and a previous owner of W918 had many happy summer days in the late 1970’s and early 80’s sailing the only woodies in the bay. I know W918 well !!)( Ah halcyon days).

Regarding W102 I have recently been reunited with her after some 30 years but that is another story and I don’t want to bore you all too much with my first post. Suffice to say I am glad to be “aboard” at the UKWA.

Regards

Gav and crew (family)
    W4559 “Custard Pie”

Hi Gav, good to see another Wayfarer in the area – we’re just in Helensburgh (see my joining post a while back) and keep her at Helensburgh SC but also plan on more pottering on Loch Lomond with my family (3 kids which is a bit of squash!).

Iain

Gav102

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply. 5 in a Wayfarer !! Yes, that would be a bit tight, we were 4 up during the summer hols and that was just comfortable.

I had popped into Helensburgh SC a few weeks ago. (BTW, congrats. on a superb new clubhouse 🙂 ). Depending on how the family take to this sailing lark, I may find myself pestering you for membership proposal. However, in the mean time I will be keeping 4559 down in Dumfries & Galloway but who knows, she may find herself on the Clyde in the future.

Regards
    Gav

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.