Latest News: Forums Technical Garmin etrex gps location help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    suffolktim
    Participant

So I am hoping to mount my garmin etrex legend GPS unit somewhere on my mk1 wayfarer. I know that the unit needs to remain level for the compass to work correctly, but the unit can be held at an angle for the directional mode. I am still unsure on the best place to mount it, and I wonder where you guys have mounted, or would  mount yours?

cheers

Tim

Swiebertje
    Participant

I clip my Uniden Mystic to my swimming aid.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Tim – I sometimes use the pocket in my (kayak) buoyancy aid, but recently have used a SatNav-style beanbag (Amazon Basics) which I can position almost anywhere in the boat in a moment, to ensure good visibility and ease of re-positioning after tacking etc. The GPS is clipped into a standard mount. The whole thing isn’t tethered…

suffolktim
    Participant

Hey Dave, sounds like a good plan…I have just googled what you mean, and with all the flat grp around on mine, I reckon I could stick a car window attachment which holds a mobile phone!

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

I’ve wondered about that method myself (but wouldn’t risk it without a tether – driving experience suggests that those things tend to let go suddenly without warning, e.g. in central London at a busy road junction). With the boat beanbag I know when it’s safe to use it and then if things start to get a bit tasty I can clip the GPS to my buoyancy aid and throw the beanbag into a drybag or bucket. Here’s the one I have:-

I like being able to move it around the boat one-handed, for optimum visibility and when tacking.

I’ve screwed one of these onto the beanbag’s mounting plate:-

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.