Latest News: Forums Technical frayed halyard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Three club training Wayfarers, all in good nick, all fitted with either Barton or Seasure furlers. They sail with genoas or jibs, depending on conditions. The jibs have strops on the heads. Tensioning is by highfield. One gets a bundle of ‘fish hooks’ on the halyard at regular intervals, requiring replacement. Sheaves are moving freely. Any suggestions/ideas/similar experience?

Dave Bevan

Are they wire halyards? If not, is it plaited or twisted rope?

It’s possible your furler is wound the wrong way, so the furler untwists the halyard.

Swiebertje
    Participant

I used to have a Seasure furler too but it wouldn’t furl with the tension on. Tired of releasing the tension every time I wanted to use it, I switched to a Harken High Load furler and swivel, that solved the issue. As Dave already wrote, a furler that doesn’t furl well may twist the wire and perhaps cause the damage you describe. For starters, check the top swivel. It should run smooth under full load, if not replace it by a High Load type.

BTW, On my current boat I have a Bartels reefing system which is even better then a Harken High Load furling system.

aidanw

Hi,

I had the same problem on my boat. I swapped to Harken gear and that didn’t help the fraying problem. I was replacing the wire genoa halyard every few months.

Then someone spotted that the halyard looked ever so slightly too wide for the sheave. Sure enough, on measurement it was slightly too big. As I had been asking for “like for like” replacement each time, the problem didn’t ever go away. Getting the correct diameter wire sorted the problem (and I use a Helyar flexible spar for reefing as well as furling).

Mind you – I can’t remember what the correct diameter for the wire actually is but I’m sure someone will know.

Aidan

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

3mm, 7×19, stainless steel.

C P 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, I should have said, the halyards are all 3mm 7×19 stainless.
    Point taken about loads on furlers, but these training boats aren’t tweaked up to racing tensions and the top swivel turns under load, but I’m inclined to wonder whether its turning the same number of revs. as the drum.
    The enclosed Seasure drum is mounted so that it is ‘handed’ and can only run the line in one direction, so it could be unlaying the halyard. I take it that furling should follow the lay.
    On inspection (with binoculars, it’s too wet’n’ windy to drop the mast today), the sheaves on the other boats are the older type with the foot of the box inside the mast and have Nylon sheaves. The troublesome one has a surface-mounted box with a narrow metal sheave.

There is a glimmer of light. The last two seem to be likely suspects, and maybe working together.

I know that Harken is the last word in furling, but our committee may not think so when they see the bill.

By the way, does 7×19 work-harden?

Thanks for the excellent advice, everybody. Any more bids?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.