Latest News: Forums Technical Forestay attachment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have noticed that some owners use rigging screws to attach the forestay to the forestay bracket and other use some grade of “rope” , whether it be pre-stretched or not. Could someone please tell me the best method and reasoning? Is it to do with lowering the mast or to absorb shock-loading? I read in Margaret Dyes book that her husband suffered rigging screw failure in heavy seas and wondered if this was the reason. many thanks, neil

W10143

Neil

Many Cruisers will use a Shroud or shortened forestay with a small block attached to the end. This allows a rope to be reeved and led back to the cockpit to allow the mast to be dropped from within the boat.

I must admit I haven’t seen a bottle screw used and would think this largely overkill as the forestay becomes redundant once rig tension is applied through the jib halyard (other than to hold the mast up when halyard tension is lost/released.

David

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Another advantage of having a block attached to the forestay as David has described is that you can retension the forestay very easily to remove the slack produced when the stay in the genoa luff is itself tensioned using the halyard. (You just have to remember to let this off again after dropping the genoa at the end of the day).

Anonymous
    Inactive

in addition to previous replies. I use a small piece of line to provide the tension to keep the mast up when the genoa is not hoisted – no probelms at all. I have seen a shroud plate used instead which will work fine if you don’t trust string. I wonder if the bottlescrew method is for those who are using furling gear? Though I can’t see an advantage.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

In my opinion, bottle screws (which in North America are known by the equally colourful name of turnbuckles) have no useful place aboard a Wayfarer. At the bottom of the shrouds and especially of the forestay, they are prone to failure once they have hit a few docks. I think they started out on W’s in the days when everyone liked to have tight standing rigging, especially those living on moorings. Nowadays, shroud plates are a far preferable alternative for the shrouds, and a rope – sturdy for those expecting to sail under main alone – is useful at the lower end of the forestay for reasons that the others have already explained.

Best wishes for happy sailing,

Uncle Al (W3854)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.