Latest News: Forums Cruising Footwear for Cruising

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    revoli

Bob, whats your view on footwear for cruising? With cooler months ahead I really must get myself
    sorted.

Bob Harland
    Participant

Over the years I have tried a few different things. The current ones are some leather/goretex sailing boots. Both very comfortable and warm – even in Scotland.
    But probably best not to fall in wearing boots.

I had some Aigle short dinghy boots which were fine in the summer.

I don’t think you can be comfortable with wet feet – so for me that ruled out the typical ankle high neoprene dinghy boots.
    The leather boots allow shallow water wading which is usually enough to launch and recover. So my feet are warm and dry.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Ahh! The dreaded cold feet problem!! Thats the one thing about sailing that drive me to the shore faster than a Moth on a Foil!!! How does one keep dry on the feet and in turn warm???????
    I too have had the ankle type boot that your body heat is supposed to warm the water thats in it but what if you have bad circulation ?? Cold wet feet! They also have soft soles and ware in a season!!
    I used to sail with boots and socks, launch with boot on then dry feet and put on socks. Worked well but such a Faf!!!
    Been thinking about the bottom of a dry suit type garment with dry feet which could have some way of letting water out if you fell in and filled up !! Is it out there???
    It would keep one dry and warm when launching and sailing yet not sink one!! I too just want dry warm feet!!!!
    Latest item i have seen is waterproof socks, saw them on a lad at the Boatshow who was standing in water up to his ankle.
    He showed us his dry feet so they did seam to work?? Things students do for drinking money or to pay off the loan!!
    Have been told that if the water gets over the top and in, Cold Wet Feet Again!!!
    CP

Swiebertje
    Participant

A pair of waist high wading pants perhaps?

tempest51

Or a big boat with a heavy keel equipped with an Eberspacher heater? I think you’ll find there is no foolproof system.

@Swiebertje wrote:

A pair of waist high wading pants perhaps?

I was told that waders are potentially very dangerous- if you end up in the water, they will fill up and you will find it extremely hard to climb back aboard!

Swiebertje
    Participant

Have you considered hot socks in standard hiking boots?
    You’d still have wet feet but at least they’re warm.

revoli

I ordered and received a pair of neoprene ankle length boots from Gull. Not convinced but will keep them. When walking I always carry a travel towel for drying feet after river crossings or impromptu dips in mountain streams. I think I may adopt this strategy for launching in winter. Comfort is everything and cold feet I just don’t do anymore – far too old for such foolery.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.