Latest News: Forums Technical Foils maintenance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello

We’ve just joined the UKWA, having had a Mk1 boat for a couple of years. We’re doing a fair bit of work on the boat over winter in preparation for some more adventurous/distance cruising next year. So this is the first of many questions, and grateful for any advice!

The rudder and centreboard are wooden (ply) which has been treated, presumably with epoxy and varnish – though this is a guess. The centreboard has said hello to the bottom a couple of times and the leading edge is therefore damaged at the bottom. Both rudder and centreboard are otherwise OK except for some areas around the edges where the previous treatments have started to fade/wear away.

We’re looking for the most efficient way to maintain both foils. Not keen to spend hours sanding and coating, and this isn’t a racing boat. So I’d be really grateful for any advice on what to do to maintain them – do we need to sand down the affected areas and then treat with something? If so, what? We’re new to boat maintenance so grateful for any details!

Cheers
    Dave

PeterW3035

Hi Dave

Welcome on board, my rudder & centre board also need some attention this winter. Not least repairing the damaged caused when rudder and outboard prop met when trying to regain direction on a particularly windy day but that’s another story.

If you don’t know what they have been treated with I would recommend stripping back to bare wood and then coating with epoxy. You can then re-coat with epoxy or two pack varnish as and when required. If you use the search facility I’m sure there’s several threads about this. The main issue that epoxy can’t be applied over other finishes such as traditional varnish. However once bare wood has been epoxied it gives the most durable base or future coating.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Peter

Can you recommend a type/brand of epoxy? Not sure what to buy as never used it before. Same goes for the varnish. And presumably its OK just to take the affected areas back to bare wood and treat those rather than the whole thing?

Dave

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Dave , First thing I would say to you is to think again about epoxy in this case.
    It is very expensive and needs the correct preparation which has been talked about by Pete which I would say is not needed by you at this time.
    You have said that your new to all this and so I would say your best bet is to go along the varnish route which is much easier this time, maybe use epoxy some other time.
    What you must remember is that you cannot put two part varnish on top of standard varnish, well! you may get away with it but your best to stick with standard this time.
    Rub back the varnish to a dull finish, dry sanding is fine and then put a thinned coat on any bare patches and allow to dry and soak in. Do it again so as to build up the varnish in the bare areas to the same thickness as the better coats around it.
    Allow this all to harden, then rub down with a fine paper and then build up say two or three coats to a finish. Done!

One thing to look for in a plywood plate and rudder is to look for any holes in the plywood on the leading edges. These holes maybe were the veneers that make up the plywood did not join each other and so leave a hole for the water to soak into and weaken the ply! If you see any sort them out with some kind of strong glue of filler.
    CP

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Colin. Is there any particular type of varnish I need to use? Is there a marine varnish?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Yes lots and lots !!!! Have a look on line or talk to the man at your chandlery as he will be able to give you lost of advice.
    Buy online is ok but the postage will be high and no advice!
    CP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.