Latest News: Forums Racing Flag Order for racing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Turtill

I have to start a race of a combined fleet of Lasers, Wayfarers, and National 12 boats at a club weekly sailing race. I have the flag wrap and a pic of all flags with numbers and/or initial. The race starts at 1900hrs.

What flag do I raise at 5 minutes before the start? When does the “P” flag go up and down and what happens if a lot of unidentifiable boat start prematurely? Does the start sequence start all over again or just a general recall where all boat re-cross the start? What flag for that? What horn signals do I give and when? All boats start together and the PY is used to find the times.

pete

Hi Pete
    We use Flag G for all classes start together. Starting sequence is normal 5 (G), 4 (P up), 1 (P down) Go (G down)! If you can’t identify individual boats over the line, you would have to go a general recall and make them all start again.

The only complicated aspect is shortening course if you want to finish the classes separately. You will then need to display the N12 flag with flag S and so on.

But you will need to check your SIs to see what it says!

Steve
    Minima Yacht Club

Turtill

All classes finish as they cross the finish line and times are worked out by PYS. If all have to be recalled do I start the complete sequence again by taking G down then putting it up again with a blast on the horn and go through the complete 5-4-1 sequence again? They have previously been using flag “A” to start the sequence.

Hi Pete

I have got some homework for you!

1. Read your Club Sailing Instructions – if they have previously been using flag A for classes starting together, it’s probably because it says so there.

2. Then look up Part 3, Para 29.2 General Recall in the Racing Rules of Sailing 2013-16 (you can download a copy for free on the internet).

Then report back
    Steve

Turtill

I started the race on the H flag begining the count down sequence. No probs at all.

Well done, Peter!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.