Latest News: Forums Technical Fitting Buoyancy Bags

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    jameschew
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m adapting a mkI woodie for cruising, and I’ve bought a couple of inflatable rollers which are to be used as fenders, rollers and buoyancy.

Am I right to be thinking of adding more buoyancy to a mkI? I’m concerned that (assuming I put them in the sides of the boat) it’ll increase the tendency to invert.

If I should go ahead, I’m not sure how best to fit them, as they would need to held low down to be effective, but there is a shortage of attachment points. I could screw some eyelets into the lower bilge stringer, but they would have to be very short screws, unless I glued on extra wood. Alternatively, I could bolt through the lower frames, and lead lines up through holes in the floorboards.

Or maybe the bags should go elsewhere entirely?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

john1162
    Participant

Some people I know with inflatable Boat rollers usually pump them up when needed. Assuming your rollers are 20cm dia x 120cm long they will have a volume of about 36000 cubic cm this gives a buoyancy of about 36kg so any fixing would have to withstand this amount of force (sorry I know force is measured in newtons). If fastened each end then each fixing has to take 18kg.  I wouldn’t fasten them to the stringers. Just had a look at Force 4 boat rollers and they would give a buoyancy of 78.5 kg. That’s a lot of stress on your fixings. Over 12 stone in “real money”.

jameschew
    Participant

OK thanks John.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.