Latest News: Forums Cruising Firth of Clyde / Kyles of Bute

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR

We are tentatively thinking of a trip in the Clyde – probably based from Largs – which would hopefully include the Kyles of Bute and might even include going all the way round Bute.

Has anyone sailed in this area? If so any advice or recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanks
    Jonathan

Jim.Byers

we(three boats)sailed the Clyde about three years ago.
    Largs was £13.50.to launch and park the car and trailer for as long as you wanted.If you required assistance i/e.thier tractor it was extra.The slip was into a very sheltered area of the marina.We did not recover there I think it also cost £13.50.(three years ago).The wind to beware of is an easterly,we spent the first night in loch ranza (sea loch on west side of Arran)Rocky shore all round an easterly comes over the island and becomes a katabatic down on the water,I think if you got the the top of a spring tide you could get behind the castle and dry out.
    Next we went to east loch tarbet which is nearly a mile in from loch fine.
    Very sheltered and they only charged £8.50.for a floating pontoon berth.
    Toilet block showers £1.
    We hauled out there as I capsized and broke my mast.

Jim

Thanks for the info. We too are planning to start from Largs but our ambitions are substantially less than yours. If we got all the way round Bute we would be very happy as a first visit to the area.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan
    We sailed the Firth of Clyde and did a cicumnavigation of Bute two years ago. We started at Helensburgh (not to be recommended as the slip is very steep), sailed to Rothsay then went clockwise round Bute via the NE shore of Arran. Neither boat carried a boat tent so we land camped but compared to the other place in Scotland we have sailed found it very unsuited to this type of cruising, mainly because most of the sheltered bays/inlets are overlooked or have roads along the shore. Having said that a sail through the Kyles is a must and a place not to be missed is Glencallum bay on the southern tip of Bute ( see the picture in last years W calander) We also camped just opposite Tighnabruaich and Sannox Bay on Arran
    Hope this helps, contact me if you require any futher info
    Regards
    Iain Mc Robbie

Iain

Thanks for your comments, especially glad to hear that you highly recommend going through the Kyles. We have now set some firm dates so will report back on how we get on.

Cheers
    Jonathan

Just back from a very excellent trip. Started from Largs – highly recommended, very friendly and helpful staff and easy launching, vehicle / trailer parking etc – across to Rothesay, up the east Kyle to the northern tip of Bute and then back to Largs via Millport on Great Cumbrae.

I’ve put some pictures on Photobox if anyone’s interested.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/1x9C7007/album/111644027?cid=tashare001

Thanks again for the replies and help I received on this. We had a great time, there’s lots more to explore – will probably be back there for another trip before long.

Jonathan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jonathon
    Wonderful photos, thanks for uploading them. Hope I’ll get there one day, I’m green with envy!
    Dave

Looks to have been a good trip but a bit chilly.
    John.

Got back to The Clyde for another trip in May, just posted a video if anyone’s interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83swLTUyCQ0&list=UUAQ2qk75cUVCD2DvkMLfgQQ&index=1&feature=plcp

In this monsoon summer we were very lucky with the conditions – we caught the first few days of the high pressure in May that led to the heatwave late May – seems a long while ago now.

Jonathan

tempest51

Nice Video Jonathan…well done…wish we had more like this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.