Latest News: Forums Cruising Fenders!

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Alistair Osborn
    Participant

Hi all, I’m new to wayfarer cruising, having recently moved to Falmouth and acquired a boat. One of the things I’m struggling with is a decent fender arrangement though – I find the gunwales are just the right height to get chipped against the various pontoons we’ve tied up too. Has anyone got anything that works for them?

Many thanks in advance,

alastair and family

Wise Old Elf

Mark Foreman
    Participant

For cruising, I’d have to recommend a hardwood rubbing strake on a MK4. Stops the chipping and with screws at about 30cm, also adds strength to the seam joint which can help maintain buoyancy if the boat takes a hard knock. Also useful for fixing a tent too. Then a couple of fenders to keep the boat away from the heading most of the time.

Mark Foreman
    Participant

For cruising, I’d have to recommend a hardwood rubbing strake on a MK4. Stops the chipping and with screws at about 30cm, also adds strength to the seam joint which can help maintain buoyancy if the boat takes a hard knock. Also useful for fixing a tent too. Then a couple of fenders to keep the boat away from the heading most of the time.

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi, we carry two fenders. On each shroud we have some plastic tube that goes up from deck level to just below goosneck height – part of the tent frame support. We can then hang a fender from the shroud vertically over the gunwale.

If we need a second fender then a combination of the rowlock and aft spinnaker lead.

Hope that helps.
    bob

jmcc500
    Participant

Having made the mistake of turning up at the last Dutch International Rally with but one, small, fender we made sure we would not risk it again and now have four conventional fenders which we do our best with, but also a couple of beach rollers. W head some webbing straps made up which fit snugly around the inflated roller at each end and then tie off in the cockpit somewhere. They are deeper than fenders so even when sitting below the gunwale offer some protection.

I can’t find pictures at the moment, but these are the rollers: https://www.force4.co.uk/inflatable-boat-roller.html?utm_source=google_shopping&195=11645&gclid=CjwKCAjw8e7mBRBsEiwAPVxxiJbMsXgJ1W9PTVxHgJMKvy6yzOT8r4gNRmOyIX0jlxfviYGddkaMNhoCFRUQAvD_BwE

And we we had a local sailmaker sow the 1” webbing straps for a minimal charge.

Alistair Osborn
    Participant

Thanks very much folks, some really useful ideas. I had considered the roller concept before but was unsure about the force 4 ones – what are they like? I’ve seen some great reviews of some made in the US (https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/3169/).

The fender off the shroud is also something I hadn’t thought of or the idea of retrospectively fitting a rubbing strake. Given my ambition to cruise around the local beaches I think I might pursue the beach roller idea, and the strake given it’s usefulness for the tent in the longrun!

Short term it’s probably the shroud!

Thanks again all, really appreciate your thoughts.

Al

Tim Jeanneret
    Participant

Hi jmcc,

Those rollers look interesting, thanks for the tip. There’s usually a rock to tie up to here in Finland, but the ability to roll up a beach might be handy.

How do you inflate them though? Do you carry a little pump of some sort or is lung power enough?

Thanks, Tim

jmcc500
    Participant

Force 4 rollers have been good so far – though they don’t get used heavily. Stood up to a week between boat and piling on the Norfolk Broads International Rally last year, no sign of any damage yet.

We inflate them with good old mark 1 lung power. They are not too bad – the pressure requirement is quite low but obviously a fair volume so takes a few minutes. In Norfolk we left them inflated all week – they stow under the side bench poking forward into the forepeak on a mark 4 Wayfarer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.