Latest News: Forums Technical Failed front tank buoyancy test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Roger
    Participant

What is the best way to seal the edges of the front buoyancy bulkhead on my wooden Wayfarer?

Is there a product which would enable me to simply apply a thin fillet to the edge, and match my varnished wood?

Roger.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Clear Epoxy resin will match varnish but it needs some Low Density Filler to thicken it up to make a fillet . You will need to scrape away old paint down to DRY wood or ply if your going to also attack this job from the inside of the tank with the hatch off.

Low Density Filler is dark brown in colour so will match dark wood that most Wayfarers are made from and you can get a small pack of resin, hardener and fillers from West Systems, called a 101 Mini Pack. Try P@B, Sailboats or maybe even West themselves.

You cannot just put a fillet over a crack in the varnish, your need to abrade the crack or scrape away the varnish and fillet onto the wood. It helps the Epoxy to stick to and soak into the wood if you paint clear mixed Epoxy onto the wood first and let it soak in for a few seconds.Then mix in the filler to the clear mixed resin and make the fillet with that and shape it with a Lolly Stick or rounded piece of wood..

Then sand and shape the fillet followed by a coat of varnish over the Epoxy to cover it.

Sometimes you can fix a vacuum to a tank and as you fillet or paint Epoxy onto a crack you will suck into a crack the Epoxy and it will fill the crack in unseen places, your need to stop this Vacuum just before the last fillet is done so as to not suck all the Epoxy through the crack.
    CP

Roger
    Participant

Thanks Colin that sounds like good advice, but whatever I decide to do will have to be done on the outside of the tank as I’m too big and old to get to the inside. I’m going past P&B tomorrow so I’ll pick up a Mini Kit if they have one and follow you advice.

Roger

tempest51

West systems do day courses on using their products…do yourself a favour and invest in one (i.e read the manual first!), and you will be inspired to do a lot more.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Roger,
    I am aware that sending children down mines and up chimneys goes against current Health and Safety but they can still be used in Wayfarer forward tanks with a special dispensation from the class !!!!!!

Roger
    Participant

I think I would have to borrow someone else’s children Colin, as mine are also too big. My son is six feet six inches tall and my daughter is six feet two inches tall.
    I think if I’m careful I can do a tidy job.

If I can press gang some smaller people into helping who do I get the dispensation chitty from?

Roger

Roger
    Participant

Had a bit of luck today as I found out that the main culprit for the leak on the front tank was the hatch closure and the turn-buckles which didn’t have any rubber washers on.

So I’ve replaced the old gasket seal, slightly thicker this time, and used some vacuum grease around the turn-buckles, and she holds a vacuum which meets the Association requirements, which is great news as I want to get on the water as soon as possible.

I shall leave further work till she’s laid up for the winter at the end of the year.

Roger

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.