Latest News: Forums Racing Excellent turn out at Aldeburgh

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    gvj

I note some mentions of numbers being down at Open events this year. As Wayfarer class captain at AYC I’m pleased to report that we had 30 boats entered as part of Aldeburgh Regatta week including visitors from Waldringfield and Orford.
    Is this the best turn out for an open meeting this year?

Fantasia

Congratulations, a 30 boat turnout is fantastic nowadys. We sailed Chi Harbour Fed Week this year (same week as Falmouth Nationals), which used to have massive W turnouts, but only 7 this year and we now have to sail in Medium Handicap with all sorts of other annoying classes.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Well done Aldeburgh that is a good turn out !
    But what would it take to get all thoes boats to other open meetings ?

C P 🙂

gvj

I could write reams on why I think it’s extremely unlikely that any AYC boats will be travelling to other open meetings in the near future. But there is new blood coming into the class and interest in racing does seem to be growing again, so I’m hopeful for the future.

sailfree
    gvj wrote:
    Quote:

I could write reams on why I think it’s extremely unlikely that any AYC boats will be travelling to other open meetings in the near future. But there is new blood coming into the class and interest in racing does seem to be growing again, so I’m hopeful for the future.

Please write reams as the best hope the class has is if someone offers reasons why not to travel and others can respond to negate those reasons.

As one who has not competed for years this year we started again and enjoyed Falmouth/Nationals week and also Poole week. We knew some of the people but the strangers seemed as nice as we always remembered Wayfarer sailers to be and we look forward to travelling more in 2010.

If I can get the seals on my drysuit replaced we may even do Bough Beech in November.

I should also be very interested to know why the Aldeburgh members are very unlikely to travel to other open meetings.

Should we be thinking about holding a future nationals at Aldeburgh and if we did, could we hope to get 50 boats on the water?

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.