Latest News: Forums Technical Epoxy Mistake – help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    revoli

I have done something stupid. I have mixed epoxy resin with epoxy resin instead of hardener and painted this all over my beautifully prepared foils. Can anyone advise on best course of action?  I could wipe off, and let dry; clean off with epoxy thinners but this may disturb the underlying foils which have lots of nicely set epoxy. Anyone been as stupid as me??

admin

Don’t panic, this is not a disaster!

Epoxy resin plus epoxy resin equals a treacly mess, but looking on the bright side there’s no rush ‘cos it ain’t gonna set!

I would use a broad scraper (like a wallpaper stripper knife) to get the worst off wiping it off the stripper knife using kitchen towel or rags, then use lots of kitchen towels to get as much off as you can and finally use acetone on…you guessed it, kitchen towels, to wipe away the rest.

Acetone will not attack cured epoxy if used in moderation, as it will evapoarte very quickly. Best to wear gloves as it will take all the natural oils out of your skin.

Then wash the foil with warm water and washing up liquid. A quick rub with some wet and dry will cut a key through any residual resin that might be sitting in scratches on the surface of the foils.

Note to self, must buy shares in Kitchen Towel manufacturer…

Swiebertje
    Participant

I fully agree with Mike.

Xylene, Iso-butanol or toluene will do the job too and are just as toxic as acetone. :mrgreen: On acetone you may pass out quicker though. %P
    Iso-butanol is the by far safest option IMHO but also the slowest.
    If tiny bits of residual resin remain they are most likely to harden by the catalyst of the new layer you are going to apply so don’t worry to much about it.
    Should you have to scrape of the glass weave as well, you have to get new glass. Unfortunately I don’t see a way of saving it.

revoli

Many thanks, that’s a lot of paper towels I am going to need. I am wondering about adding a small amoun of hardener to epoxy thinners as a sort of last wipe after cleaning everything I can. The uncured epoxy resin has penetrated deep into the wood and this may just get any engrained resin to set. I could then leave it in a hot room for a week to bake it dry (not sure how the wife will take to having half aboat hanging above the Aga but what a mans gotta do….)

Swiebertje
    Participant

Don’t try that. That’s a Mickey Mouse solution! As said before, wipe clean as good as you can. The solvent and paper will suck enough epoxy from the grain to make your new layer stick well. What ever is left will harden eventually once the curing process is started by the new layer. Follow the directions from the manufacturer as close as you can, any deviation will only weaken the bond or give a less then perfect result.

revoli

In the interest of shared knowledge – 

I had a call from Gurit the makers of SP epoxy system. The answer they assure me is WATER. In it’s uncured form epoxy resin and hardener are water soluble. Wash it off with warm water (soap could be added but you then need to make sure that is cleaned off). After all that you could then use acetone if you want…

Given I have painted this on to bare wood there will be a degree of re-prep but small price to make sure job done properly. So tomorrow I shall break through the ice and get the old scrubbing brush out and go on attack. Second thoughts I shall employ small children to do this bit. Isn’t that what they are for?

They also gave me another tip: if you have lots to do have a few separates pots with the right mix in, do not stir and cover with clingfilm. When you need the next pot simply uncover stir and go. No reaction will take place until stirred thoroughly, even at the interface between resin and hardener as one simply floats on the other.  Useful bloke.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The West System Epoxy is not the same formulation in that case, their website says the following in relation to health and safety which I imagine is the same as removing it from any surface:

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/how-to-prevent-overexposure-to-epoxy/

Resin is not water-soluble, use a waterless skin cleanser to remove resin or mixed epoxy from your skin. Hardener is water soluble, wash with soap and warm water to remove hardener or sanding dust from your skin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.