Latest News: Forums General End of Boom Problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Centipede
    Participant

Boom EndHi, can anybody help me?
    The inner end of my boom seems to have something missing. I have just bought a second hand Wayfarer.
    The rope for the outhaul goes inside the boom, and comes out over a pulley wheel at the end next to the mast, but there is nothing to cleat it onto.
    Should there be an end plate or something?
    I’ve looked around (Trident catalogue etc) and can’t find what it should be.
    Thanks for any help,
    Martyn

Swiebertje
    Participant

You tie that end to a small block.

The outhaul control line usually runs, from port to starboard like this: Through a cleat at the aft of the thwart, to a small block attached to the CB case (port side), just above the floorboards, then to a cheek block screwed to the port side of the tabernacle. From there the line goes up to a small block where you tie the actual outhaul to. Then back down to a cheek block at the starboard side of the tabernacle, and back to a small block below the thwart, just above the floorboards attached to the CB case (SB side). From there up to a cleat aft of the thwart.

The control line allows you to control the outhaul while hiking out. It also gives a 2:1 purchase making the adjustment easier. Together with a (cascaded) purchase inside the boom and another one at the clew the total purchase is 8:1 making adjustments a lot easier (8 inch pull = 1 inch clew movement).

The last purchase is by a small block attached to the sail’s clew. The outhaul goes through it and back to the boom end where it is tied down. Inside the boom is another small block and the end of the outhaul comes out of the boom through a small hole and is fixed by a figure eight knot.

Pictures on the WIT web-site.
    (Apologies this forum software does allow me to add links, nor does it allow me to fix typo’s >:-( The old forum was much better).

Centipede
    Participant

Aha! Many thanks Swiebertje.

None of the other things you describe are present, so I was completely thrown off.

I think for the moment I will just make up a vertical camcleat, fixed by way of the boom track, using a bent piece of stainless steel.

Later I will set up the system you describe.

Martyn

Swiebertje
    Participant

There are many ways to skin a cat.

The best thing to do is visit one of the Wayfarer meetings, racing or cruising, it does not matter. Bring a simple point and shoot camera and take as many pictures as you can from every gory detail. There are as many solutions to a problem as there are Wayfarer sailors! Who am I to say what is best, or rather what is best for your situation, your boat or the way you intend to use her…..

It is what I did many years ago. I still browse through those pictures regularly. They are as good a source as the Wayfarer book or the WIT web-site.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.