Latest News: Forums Technical Dust in time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    tempest51

Does anyone have any tips on the best method to keep dust and anything else off newly epoxied or varnished work. I’d like to make up some sort of tent covering arrangement that can be used many times but not too sure on what are the best materials to use so as not to attract more lovely dust. I believe that wetting the floor immediately around the work area helps to stop dust being kicked up?

Thanks

Hoggy

I repainted my Wayfarer last winter – spring ( and into summer), I found it near impossible to eliminate all chances of getting dust and insects on drying paint. What I did do though, and bear in mind I was using my single garage plus a garden gazeebo, was this. I used a large fan to blow dust out of the garage whilst blowing the walls and any pipe work and shelving with a vacum cleaner on blow. This seemed to get rid of most if not all the dust that might want to turn my painted surface into cheap looking sand paper. A thorough dusting down of surfaces is also helpful. You will find that the wind can make your tent bellow in and out which can also stir up dust and dead bugs. I would recommend you have adequate ventiliation when painting, which again brings it own problems with dust and flying insects. You might think I will paint it before bugs appear but the temperature is also important so you might have to paint later in the spring – summer to avoid issues with the paint drying, blooming ETC. I hope this helps and I do not come across as too negative I just know how frustrating it can be from my experience, to do it with out the paint shop set up the pro’s use.

Best regards,
    Geoff (Hoggy)

Swiebertje
    Participant

I like to do my (two pot) paint jobs in early spring when the temperatures are still low. As an amateur painter I don’t have the skill to paint fast and a temperature around 14C allows me much more time before the paint gets to tacky to handle. I have not seen any ill effects so far while painting at these lower temperatures. Painting in the early spring also has less insects and dust to disturb my work. Try, if posible, to paint on day with little wind and just after a shower to minimise dust.

If you do get some dust or insects in your work, do nothing. If you try to take a fly from wet paint you will damage your work much more then leaving it sit. Once the paint has set you can simply wipe of the fly. Most often only its legs have touched the paint (flies don’t want to die in a puddle of paint) leaving almost invisible marks. Those marks if visible, and other dust marks after wiping off, are often easy removed with some car polish, but only try polish after the paint has thoroughly set.

tempest51

Thanks to Hoggy and Swiebertje.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.