Latest News: Forums Cruising Downwind in Bura

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    matoi

In case you wondered where your Commodore was in September, here is a video of him sailing at 10kts in Bura wind in Croatia:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7599338468797649932

A log of the trip to follow…

Best regards,

Mato

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool! Makes me want to take another day off work and get the boat out!! 8)

Dave Bevan

Hey Mato. What’s Dubrovnik like in October? Any good for sailing?

matoi

Hello Dave!
    If you are interested in the city of Dubrovnik itself, I think visiting it in October is a good idea. Certainly much better than in summer when it is horribly crowded and more expensive.
    I’ve never sailed over there myself, but if you are thinking of renting a yacht for a week or so I think you would have a good chance of some good winds, while it could be still warm enough for swimming. In such case I would certainly plan visiting the island of Mljet. Try googling for images with keywords ‘Mljet national park’ and you’ll see why. I have sailed to islands of Lastovo and Kor?ula which are next north east and it has been very nice. As far as weather can be predicted and generalized, this area should have better weather than the northern part of the Adriatic sea. But the middle is good too, and since it’s more packed with small islands, might be an interesting alternative if the city of Dubrovnik is not your prime reason for landing there.
    If you had dinghy cruising on your mind, than in my opinion there are better options… If you want me to investigate something a bit more for you, just let me know here or by PM/email.
    Cheers!
    Mato
    P.S.
    The short video featuring Ralph is moved to youtube as google decided to close down the previous service.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUQVxc-iSg

Dave Bevan

Thanks Mato. It’s a family beach holiday foremost, but I’ll be gutted if we don’t get on the water atleast once. We’re actually staying just up the coast at Orasac, but will spend a couple of days in the city and we’ll also check out the islands.

Just whatched your videos again – credit to you for videoing in those conditions, that would have brought on a swift bout of sea-sickness for me!

matoi

Let me know when you are coming, and if stars happen to set in the right combination (meaning that at that time both you and I can get to Šibenik where my W is, and that the weather is ok) we could arrange some Wayfarering.
    This invitation is also valid for all other W afficionados here.
    All the best,
    Mato
    P.S. Re video, it could have been better shot but the silly camera doesn’t have a normal (optical) viewfinder, only the LCD one, and in the sunshine you are shooting without knowing what you are exactly doing. The video seems quite romantic now because of all the sun, but actually I was on the verge of becoming hypothermic. Wasn’t aware of that while in the boat, but have been shivering for quite some time after we got ourselves into a harbour…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.