Latest News: Forums Technical Docking Arms

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    PeterW3035
    Participant

I’m planning to trail and sail next year rather than being club based and plan to upgrade my trailing & launching kit. Does anyone have any photos of the following:

Trolley docking arms (as I may be recovering single handed)

Trailer lighting board & mast support for transome

I can always cobble something together but it would be good to see any tried and tested methods…..

PS. If anyone fancies meeting up for a sail somewhere on the South Coast next year let me know.

waypad
    Participant

Hello Peter,
    Have never seen the need for “arms,” as a steady pull with the painter
    seems to line the boat up well enough to settle down on the trolley.

I sail in the Penzance area and Helford river and thereabouts. If you venture this way I would be happy to sail in company.
    Regards, pete W7059

PeterW3035
    Participant

That’s interesting, on a fairly steep slipway at my sailing club docking arms would be a benefit. Certainly my expectation is that single handing they will be invaluable. I’ve sailed on the Helford a couple of times and will bear that in mind if I’m ever in Cornwall,

Thanks for the offer, Peter

Swiebertje
    Participant

Here is a picture of a lighting board support and mast support made from two left over plywood planks and an original Wayfarer pintel and gudgeon.

PeterW3035
    Participant

Thanks Swiebrtje, the WIT is a great source of info.

john1162
    Participant

Well I took a picture of my docking arms but was foiled when trying to put it here!  PM me and I will send it to you.

I find docking arms very useful especially in the muddy waters at Brancaster and the peaty water of my sailing club.  They make single handed recovery much easier.

PeterW3035
    Participant

Thanks John, message sent

waypad
    Participant

Maybe I should review my reluctance to employ docking arms. So far I have managed quite well, but I can imagine that in foul weather and slippery shore conditions things may get problematic. Should have given this some consideration before I sent my new DIY trolley to be galvanized. However, I hope I can wangle something without any drilling.
    Pete

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.