Latest News: Forums Technical DIY Main reefing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to add reefing point to my main sail. Has anyone done this, is it difficult to do.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I can’t resist the temptation to be really annoying and not answer the question, but recommend making contact with a local sailmaker, who should be able to sort you out for about £30-40, giving you a professional job, a check over your sail, some useful advice and a new friend into the bargain. That would be my advice, sorry!

Swiebertje
    Participant

hear hear.

Bob Harland
    Participant

If you are used to heavy duty sewing then I don’t think it would be difficult.
    You could do hand sewn cringles, and you will need some spare sailcloth to do the reinforcing.
    It might be a good idea to practice and perfect your technique on some scrap cloth before you start on a decent mainsail.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the comments guys.

It is not about the money it is about the knowledge!

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

In that case, Give Me All Your Money and i will tell you what i know!!! 😆
    Before anyone says it, Don’t shortchange the man Colin!!! CP

here’s a quote I got recently…..
    Anyone reccomend a cheaper sailmaker?

a) Cost to fit 2 rows of reef eyes to Wayfarer Mainsail: £54.00 + VAT (per row).

b) Cost to fit buoyancy pouch: £60.00 +VAT

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have heard that the pouch is not much good, you are better off with a small fender lashed to the mast. Saw a club up north recently where this was the norm and not just for the Wayfarer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.