Latest News: Forums Racing Dispensation. Twin Spi Poles will be allowed for Nationals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Liam

As a result of questions arising related to the carriage on board of two spinnaker poles for racing when the rules refer to a spinnaker pole in the singular, the UKWA Executive Committee have met and agreed a dispensation for the National Championships 2012, which are due to be held at the Medway YC from the 19th to 22nd July 2012. Custom and practice has seen the use of twin spinnaker pole systems within the UKWA for many years. The UKWA therefore gives the following dispensation:

“Boats are allowed to carry two poles for the spinnaker. A boat that has two spinnaker poles on board may not carry a jib stick”.

This dispensation is given in order to clear up confusion prior to the National Championships this year. A formal rule change will be proposed in time for next year’s AGM.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I would like to ask why the rule will not allow a jib stick to be carried as well as a spi pole.
    The best jib stick length is not the same as a spi pole and so it cannot be used as a jib pole.
    The way it is done at the moment is to hold the jib sheet around the outside of the windward shroud so as to put it in the best position for goosewinging.
    The time when you will need to use a jib pole is windy weather, the time when some people do not feel they can use a spinnaker so would like to balance the boat downwind with the jib boomed out.
    To hold the jib sheet outboard the crew has to be on the windward side of the boat and that is the same side as the helm will be.
    I would say that best rule change should include that a jib pole can be carried as well as a spi, or spi poles so as to give the less confident the safest option in strong winds to balance the boat down wind in the interest of good seamanship.
    CP
    ps, Australia is no better weather wise at the moment so i cannot crow about having a better time than you all. Cheers!!

admin

I agree with Colin: It is a curious decision to allow twin poles yet deny the option of a jib stick for those who would feel happier goosewinging. Surely it is much safer and more seamanlike to have the headsail boomed out than to have the crew holding the sheet outside the shrouds.

What is the rationale behind this odd rule?

@Bellerophon wrote:

I agree with Colin: It is a curious decision to allow twin poles yet deny the option of a jib stick for those who would feel happier goosewinging. Surely it is much safer and more seamanlike to have the headsail boomed out than to have the crew holding the sheet outside the shrouds.

What is the rationale behind this odd rule?

It’s not a problem if you only have one spinnaker pole, you can still take a jib stick!

Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Sorry Steve, but why should only having one pole make it Ok and not two???
    Two poles will are connected to the boat and could not be used as a jib pole with ease anyway? The best length jib pole is not the same size as a spi pole so its best to have the jib pole as well for a seaman like option.
    Steve, i know your only the messenger so iv put my gun away!!!
    CP

Should we now embed this dispensation into a permanent rule change? Let the debate begin…….. See the new thread on WIC Rule Changes in the UKWA section of the Forum.

Steve

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

We have added views like you asked Steve, have a look and see what you think!
    CP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.