Depth-sounder

LATEST: Forums Cruising Depth-sounder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR

David
    Participant

Whilst well aware that either a centreboard or a paddle work well as a depth-sounder in shallow water and require no batteries; who on here has experience of fitting a depth-sounder to a Wayfarer/dinghy and using it?

Thanks

David Harris

The Lynette 9759

Peter Carbutt
    Participant

Hi David, I have fitted a NASA Marine Target 2 depth finder though not to a Wayfarer, it was on a slightly bigger cruiser. I bought the package for about £100 from eBay. Very easy to fit, and very useful. Easy to use with big numbers and max/min alarm. Power consumption is very low and it will run for weeks on a small rechargeable burglar alarm battery. The transponder comes with lots of cable which can’t be cut and has to be coiled up out of the way. The transponder will work very well through a fibreglass hull but should be positioned so it’s away from ‘turbulent’ water. The usual method is to seal a short piece of bathroom waste pipe vertically inside the boat, the pipe is filled with a light oil (I used olive oil) and the transponder sits in that. This gives the contact needed for the signal to be sent and received. I’ve found mine invaluable for following the deep water channel in poorly marked estuaries.

Peter Carbutt. Wayfarer 5744

David
    Participant

Thanks Peter, that sounds very useful and interesting.  I was assuming I’d have to put a hole in the boat, so that’s good news.  So was the bathroom pipe pushfit (Flexible) or solvent weld (hard) and what diameter? I know making a Wayfarer into a mini cruiser is anathema to some folk, but having an awareness of depth is helpful to the style of pilotage I am tryi g to develop.

Peter Carbutt
    Participant

I used the rigid solvent weld type and I can’t quite remember the size, I think it was 32mm and was quite a snug fit. I filed the bottom end of the pipe to fit and then glass fibred it to the inside of the hull. The inside of the front buoyancy tank would be ideal. I used some tape to ‘seal’ the top end around the cable, no real problems with oil loss. I have a spare transponder and I’m hoping to fit it in my Wayfarer so that the display unit can swop from boat to boat.

David
    Participant

Thanks Peter that’s very useful.  Front buoyancy tank sounds like the place.   Sounds like 1 1/4 ” , I’ll probably find out the hard way whether solvent weld cement works, a screw top is available which I might try.  This seems like a cost effective solution.  What sort of outlet did you get the battery from?

Peter Carbutt
    Participant

I don’t think you’ll do very well with solvent weld on fibreglass, clear bathroom silicon may work. Battery was from the electrical wholesaler I use for all that sort of stuff, 12 volt sealed rechargeable battery for a burglar alarm. Have a look on eBay – should get one for about £15

David
    Participant

Thanks so much Peter, I’ll bear all that in mind when I start to put this plan into action.  It would seem I owe you a pint.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.