Latest News: Forums Technical Daft question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Radarman

Could anyone tell me the length of the Tiller (from the pivot point to the end) and the Tiller extension. (On a Wayfarer dingy).

I have just started to learn to sail and am trying to make a dry land version so that I can practice the tacking manouver.

Unfortunately I am miles away from the boat hence the question.

Regards

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Radarman,

On my boat the tiller itself is 1240mm long, but the extension is attached about 95mm back from the end, however, the other end of the tiller (at the rudder stock) doesn’t quite reach the line projected above the pintle and gudgeon, so say 1200mm.

The tiller extension (on mine) is telescopic, and is about 720mm long when closed, and up to 1200mm when pulled out. I rarely/never sail with the extension fully closed, usually I would guess it’s about 75% extended.

I hope this helps.

DB

Radarman

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that back to the workshop to make it a bit longer 🙂

Regards

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Don’t rush into anything – I completely loused that up! The tiller overlaps the pivot line projected above the pintle/gudgeon (I was looking at the rudder stock upside down in a box of stuff!), so the tiller itself is practically speaking about 1050mm long. The tiller extension measurements are as stated above.

Sorry about that. 😳

DB

Radarman

No problem, out came the saw and it now works a treat.

I attached the pretend main sheet on with a spring just to give it a more realistic feel.

Thanks for the help, hopefully now I will be more ready for my next lesson (next weekend).

Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.