Latest News: Forums Technical Daft question on the Goose Neck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    westwoop

Folks,

I hate to ask this question, but it is better to deal with it at this early stage!

http://sites.google.com/site/arborealw588/home/gooseneck

This is how the gooseneck was when we bought the boat. In this position the gooseneck allows the boom to hinge down, but not up. If you flip it over the boom can hinge up towards the mast, which might be good if say shooting bridges etc. and has just enough drop to allow the boom to meet the transom. Either way seems reasonable, given the kicker stops the boom going higher when in use, but then it feels more relaxed when the boom is lowered the other way up. It has been suggested that the orientation in the picture is upside down.

Can anyone confirm which was the original design intent? Also, does anyone have a theory on the two holes in the forks you can see on the photo? They do not appear to obviously connect to anything on the current rigging or sails.

Finally, I am delighted to announce that we did indeed sail with the repaired mast at the weekend and everything worked just fine. I think the wooden mast looks great, even with the slight bend, but ask me again in the winter!

Thanks,

Peter.

tempest51

Peter,
    Looking at your photo, it would seem that the tightening nut should always be below the sails and out of the way, so opposite to what you have there. The gooseneck I have is black and pretty standard,as well as lateral movement it does allow up and down movement of approximately 45 degrees. The 2 holes may well be there to provide for a Cunningham device or for a clip to dangle a portable igloo for your beers.

Swiebertje
    Participant

The wing nut goes below the boom because:

1. It is the only way you can operate it and it does not foul or damage the sail.
    2. The reefing procedure on a Wayfarer calls for the boom to go up. We first take in the reefing line before we lower the sail, That is to avoid the boom dropping in the cockpit which would prevent sailing.
    3. If the boom can touch the transom as you write, there is enough play for the kicker.
    4. For bridge shooting it can be a blessing if the goose neck allows the boom to go all the way up against the mast. On my modern mast I have to take the boom off the goose neck before lowering the mast.

For racers the height of the boom on the mast is fixed according to the class rules, yet many cruisers prefer an adjustable goose neck for these reasons:

1. When pulled down it gives an effect similar to pulling a Cunningham hole down, though mathematics tell us it is not the same thing. I would prefer a real Cunningham hole.
    2. Lifting the boom is used for some types of boom tents. It gives a little more head room.
    3. It makes hoisting the sails easier. Specially old sails where the luff cord has shrunk. The goose neck is lowered after the main has gone all the way up. With a fixed goose neck the boom has to be put on the goose neck after hoisting the main. The latter is more complicated.

It makes sense to add the (for racers mandatory) black bands to the mast. They allow you to set the boom at the correct height for sailing. Sail makers cut their sails to the distance between the black bands. The class rules tell you where to put the black bands. I have added an Aluminium strip over the sail groove at the upper black band. This stops the sail at the top. A very helpful thing since you cannot see if the sail is at the upper black band from within the cockpit. Please note that all masts are longer then required and the excess length above the upper black band varies from mast to mast.

westwoop

Many thanks both for informative answers. I kept looking at it thinking “why is that way up?”, but because that was how it was I did not like to change it over. Based on another quick fiddle with it last night, I would say the track on the mast is now fitted as high as possible, so the sail is set with the slider at the very bottom. I have not really peered that closely at the top to see if there is space left on the slot. If not I might move the track down an inch or so to get a little be more flexibility in the position. I do quite like the general head room from the high boom, not being a racer. This would also mean the boom will sit more easily on the transom when putting on the over-boom cover.

I can see how helpful it would be for reefing, which I had always assumed would be done in the same way as you might do on larger craft. The rest of course, (especially the beer), makes perfect sense.

Regards,

Peter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.