Latest News: Forums Technical Cruising sails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

In looking for cheap alternatives for easy cruising, I’ve been trying to avoid the expense of jib roller reefing and a reefing device for my racing main. A friend mentioned Enterprise jib and main, or maybe a Lark. Has anyone any experience of doing this and what would be the best likely option?

Tim

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Tim,

I think that the midi genoa is a good option as you do not have to have other tracks and cleats.

The sail is cut with the sheet angle the same as a fullsize genoa but having a shorter leech and foot.

PM me if you want more info or I dont make sense?

CP 😕

Swiebertje
    Participant

It is a general misconception, even with sail makers, that cruising sails are the cheap option.

My cruising sails are as expensive as my racing sails. They have the same complex cut and all other racing options such as a small Cunningham block and windows above the boom and at spreader height, and bungee instead of cord. The only difference is they are not made from racing cloth and don’t have to be carefully rolled before I shoot a bridge. Because they have reefing cringles and enforcements and a buoyancy pocket they are about as expensive as racing sails despite the slightly cheaper cloth used.

If you want cheap sails, ask your sail maker for cheap sails!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking of maybe buying used sails from some smaller dinghy, was wondering if anyone had tried this or heard of it being done, and whether it was successful.

Cheers,
    Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi
    When I bought my W a few years ago it came with an Enterprise sail.
    This worked fine, albeit was pretty worn and so not good for upwind sailing.
    But it fit fine.
    Jon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.