Latest News: Forums Cruising Cruising Event at 2010 World Championships 17-24 July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

We are thinking about including a cruising event in the programme for the 2010 World Championships at Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy.

There is no racing on the afternoon Wednesday 21st July, so we could leave WPNSA at say 14:00 hours. We could have a short cruise and an ice cream on Weymouth Beach, but I would like to do something more ambitious.

Do you think that it would be realistic to cruise to Lulworth Cove, depending on the weather and tidal conditions, of course?

Advice from experience cruisers would be most welcome!

Over to you.

Steve
    Assistant Racing Secretary

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, Ihave cruised from Portland Harbour to Lulworth Cove. It is a fun cruise, and you do feel like you have ‘arrived’ when you get there, approx distance I believe was about 8 miles.

I have also sailed from Portland Harbour to Ringstead Bay, which is a lovely 5ish mile sail across Weymouth Bay, landing on a quiet beach (far less people than on Weymouth Beach, but no ice cream van).

So you have a few options. If just for an afternoon then Lulworth could well be a long hike, esp if you want to stop when you get there, or if the wind dies in the evening.

Also, there is a tide of (I recall) about 1 knot on the way to Lulworth, either with you or against you, which makes a difference, esp if both tide and wind are against you on the return journey.

Good luck

Jon

Sorry no experience of the route, but would like to support the idea. You’d certainly get a couple of cruising boats from Lymington and we’d like like to be involved in something related to the worlds as we had such a good time on the Poole cruising week/nationals/50th anniversary last year
    DS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.