Latest News: Forums Cruising Cruising capsize

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the pleasure of a very near capsize on Sunday. I was three up and because we recovered before the mast was horizontal the extra weight in the boat meant an awful lot more water in the boat.
    Got me thinking about heavily laden cruising boats.
    The moral of the tale is I think that the crew has to get in the water, not hog the up-side as the water level in Water Witch was an inch or so above the top of the centreboard case.This meant for some extra strenuous effort on the part of the baler!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d have to agree Matt. The crew always has to drop into the water and hold on to something under the waterline. This should help prevent the boat from ‘turtling’. If they are unwilling, stamp on their fingers! (Joke!)

As to heavy kit – mmm. The first thought is that any kit no matter how well secured adds weight and therefore negative bouyancy. But any kit is taking up space that can no longer be occupied by water. As a litre of water weighs 1Kg any kit that takes up more space than a litre of water and weighs less than a Kg in that space is therefore, theoretically, an advantage. Also any gear packed in bags will undoubtedly contain air therefore giving an element of positive bouyancy. I think one of the solutions may be to pack gear in tightly, therefore preventing water from penetrating voids between gear. If you look at open, Canadian, canoes when travelling they use a similar technique.

Not sure if any of my theories would hold up in tests but…

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

All good theorising between us – must find an opportunity to do it live some time. Although I suspect that even a heavily laden boat isn’t a match for three crew, plus the air incorporated into the gear.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.