Latest News: Forums General Cruising and Charging items

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Al.

Hi.

When cruising away for a few days, Using a wayfarer & wayfarer tent, what or how do you charge things like GPS/Plotter, VHF (assuming you have one) and in my case Ipad.

I have looked for a small 12v Wind turbine, and also considered 12v panels. But Nothing so far ticks all the boxes. The final option is a Outboard with Charging, But so far this lightest weight wise comes in at 28kg, That just seams to heavy.

Al

Swiebertje
    Participant

Wayfarer cruising to me is to get away from those gadgets as far as I possibly can……
    “All I need is a tall ship and a star to steer her by”. Well, that and a compass and a map.

Did you know that:
    – A paper map does not need charging and is waterproof.
    – A compass does not need charging and is waterproof.
    – A pencil even works when wet and the data you write down is retained without batteries, trust me!
    – Eyes and ears are better then radar and my butt is the best trimming computer there is.

Al.

@Swiebertje wrote:

Wayfarer cruising to me is to get away from those gadgets as far as I possibly can……
    “All I need is a tall ship and a star to steer her by”. Well, that and a compass and a map.

Did you know that:
    – A paper map does not need charging and is waterproof.
    – A compass does not need charging and is waterproof.
    – A pencil even works when wet and the data you write down is retained without batteries, trust me!
    – Eyes and ears are better then radar and my butt is the best trimming computer there is.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Alas for the trip in the planning stage, I’m going to have to carry items that will require charging, I can use normal batteries in both my VHF and GPS/Plotter. But ideally I need to find a way to charge them.

Al.

Swiebertje
    Participant

I used to carry a small motorcycle battery (in a waterproof box) that I could use to charge my mapping GPS/VHF/DSC device with. It also provided power for a mast head light. I haven’t used it over the past few years. Nor did I use my engine. I found out that the simple approach is the most enjoyable and reliable. No worries and a sense of achievement. I and several Wayfarers I know well, sail the ocean (one went from London to Helsinki) without the equipment you mentioned. I cannot imagine a destination on earth that you cannot get to without those gadgets. Maybe you are planning a trip to the planet Mars?

In general they are secondary equipment only. As a sailor you rely on primary equipment such as a compass, a map, an anchor, etc. Only when you know how to get around with those, you should use gadgets to simplify the job. Compare it to a calculator: What is the use of a calculator to child that has yet to learn calculus?

= You need to know precisely when the data of a gadget is reliable and when it is not.
    = You need to be able to find your way when a gadgets breaks down.
    = You constantly need to verify the gadgets with real world data from a map, a compass, a land mark or a buoy.
    = You need to worry about charging the batteries and sea water.
    = The extra weight of a battery/engine/wind mill and the drag they induce.
    = Do not capsize with a four stroke engine, ever!
    = You will capsize sooner or later! Its the law of the Wayfarer!

Gadgets are nice to have but are not essential.
    It all boils down to good seamanship.

John1162

This year I purchased a 12V gell filled battery and connected a car lighter socket to it so I could plug in my car charger and use it to charge my phone and tablet. I thought it was a good idea. In the end I took it on a two week cruise and didn’t use it. My GPS was fine with ordinary batteries. I didn’t use my phone at all and my tablet was used so infrequently it didn’t need charging.

As an aside my Nexus 7 can be used as a chart plotter but when its GPS is working it drains the battery within a couple of hours. I thought that plugging in an external 12V supply would work but even with the car charger plugged in it only lasts 4 hours then shuts down. The GPS function takes out more power than you can get in!

Al.

= Do not capsize with a four stroke engine, ever! 😆 Done that. (3.5 Mercury) and inverted the boat. Not a problem to right solo.

= You will capsize sooner or later! Its the law of the Wayfarer! +1

Scorrie

If you don’t already own a handheld VHF, have a look for one with a dry cell battery option.

I’ve got the Cobra (Bluetooth) handheld, it comes with the usual charger and battery, plus a carriage for holding AA batteries.

(edit): Ah…you’ve already got that covered…..

Nothing to see here, move along…. :mrgreen:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.