Latest News: Forums Cruising Criusing bouyancy / storage / Mark 1?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

As a newcomer please forgive what is probably a basic point. We have bought an old GRP boat number 1345, I think it is a Mark 1. It has fore and aft lockers which are closed with clips. Reading posts about bouyancy I believe that these lockers are suposed to be filled with bouyancy and be watertight? We went cruising last year around the scotish islands before I read any of the posts on bouyancy and used the lockers for storing our camping kit, food etc….Is this OK or are we compromising boat safety? If they are suposed to be bouyancy filled where do you put all the kit – in bags under the seats? I assume because the lockers open they are meant to be used for storage but just want to check before I drown the kids.
    Many thanks – Phil Morgan 😕

Bob Harland
    Participant

The “lockers” should pass the buoyancy test – e.g.;
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=220&Itemid=1
    There is also a wet test that you can do.

For cruising it is normal to store gear in the lockers. Whilst this does reduce the buoyancy it is not considered to be a particular problem. The gear will nowhere near entirely fill the volume and will generally be lighter than the equivalent volume of water.
    It is a good idea to use dry-bags for things like clothes and sleeping bags – then even if some water gets into the lockers your clothes keep dry.

I guess the ultimate test is to load up your boat with normal cruising gear and do a controlled capsize (do the wet test). Then see if you can recover it. But make sure you choose some sheltered water with a rescue boat close by and on a warm sunny day.

hope that helps

Many thanks Bob. It is all common sense but I thought I should check. The other question in my mind is, am I correct in thinking that if I added addional bouyancy under the seats it would make the boat more liable to turtle after capsize?
    Thanks
    Phil

Bob Harland
    Participant

It’ difficult to say if additional buoyancy under the seats would make a difference to inversion. Anything that makes the boat sit higher on the water when capsized will encourage inversion. But buoyancy under the seats might be offset by the weight of your cruising gear.

I would emphasise that the important point is for your Wayfarer to pass the buoyancy test – make sure your forward and aft lockers have good seals. And that there are no problems around the grp joins – the deck/hull join is prone to leak as this is often subject to collision damage.
    The test allows some water to ingress – it should not be 100% waterproof.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.