Latest News: Forums Technical cracks in the side decking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • AUTHOR
    mattL

As it is nice a quiet on here a hopefully simple question.

Do anyone have any advice on repairing and strengthing the cracks that appear in the wood on the side decks?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where are the cracks – ply joints or not?
    Matt
    W773

mattL

they seem to be more in the middle of the plank (but going with the grain)

G.ORilla

Hi Matt,

To ensure that when you fixed the cracks, you should ensure that they don’t return. One option is a new boat…….. (only joking).

It must be something to do with the ply used, because my old london bus has the original decking and even my lardy stern has failed to crack it. Broken everything else, mind you, but the side decks are intacta!

mattL

could I put (if it is not against any rules or a big no no) a sheet of glass fibre underneath to give extra strength?

Dave8181

Has the boat been dried out to remove excess moisture content, which can cause some cracking to occur ?

G.ORilla

Ask the owner of the other red W ….. he had the same problem and got the best repair that I have seen.

I’ll be up tomorrow (doctors finally let me out the asylum) so see you then

Anonymous
    Inactive

It could be that the ply is de-laminating and your crack is just the surface layer of ply. If this is the case you can strip the varnish from the effected area, let thoroughly dry and then stipple or squeegee some epoxy resin into the crack. Place a sheet of cling film over the glued area and clamp a flat piece of timber over the whole lot. When dry you should have sealed the crack.
    Matt
    W773

mattL

I had a feel under the deck on Saturday and the cracks don’t seem to have gone through so it could be just in the surface wood, so I might take it down to bare wood and put epoxy into the crack and, if I can get some, put some very fine glass fibre over to top to add strength.

should I put some underneath as well, just in case? like a piece of glass fibre or a thin plywood batton 😕 to add strength under the weakened wood?

PeterW3035

I wouldn’t put anything on the top surface as it is bound to show through. I would use the method matt described but only use a very modest amount of epoxy to avoid too much squeezing through to the surface. When you rub down & re-varnish the joint should be near invisible.

If the ply panel is flexing then strengthen it from underneath, a ply patch epoxied over the whole panel would be easiest to fit rather than using glassfibre upside down. If the panel is rigid it would confirm that it is only the outer veneers that have delaminated.

Regards Peter W3035

mattL

Would the ply on top be strong enough? would the epoxy strengthen the surrounding ply?

has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

all views welcome, I want to get as much advice before I sand down the effected areas, epoxy and revarnish.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wouldn’t worry too much about the strength of the ply itself. Whatever load it takes is well spread and ply will flex slightly anyway. First of all do the epoxy repair, this will add strength in itself, then assess whether you need further reinforcing.
    As 3035 said, don’t put too much epoxy on – what squeezes out has to be removed afterwards.
    Do make sure you clean out the cracks as best you can – I find the wifes vacuum cleaner (don’t know why she insists it is hres – my needs are greater) with a small nozzle attachment is good at cleaning out dust and debris.
    Matt

Fantasia

I have had a similar, but possibly related problem. With the boat stored outside at this time of year I used to get dark patches appearing in the side deck under the areas that one tends to sit. I discovered that this was caused by moisture penetration through the ply from the underside. The varnish/epoxy on the undeside of the deck was very thin and had become cracked due to degradation and possibly due to flexing in the decks. I did consider a thin glass fibre/ epoxy layer underneath, but opted to strip the degraded surface and re-coat with six coats of SP ultravar 2 pack polyurethane varnish, which seems to be successful so far. Only problem was having to turn the boat upside down to undertake thhe task.

mattL

on Saturday it was suggested that we put a batton underneath the cracks as any repairs would only repair the damage and not prevent any further cracks. has any one done this? would it be easy(ish) to do?

Has anyone taken on the task of stripping the side decks down? if so, how did you do it?

I know this all sound very silly but any assistance would be appriciated very much.

Fantasia

I have stripped all the varnish from my boat in the past. I used a combination of Nitomors (yellow tin) and a very sharp cabinet scraper, taking great care not scrape through the top veneer of the ply. This veneer can really be quite thin in particular areas such as the butt joints towards the aft end of the side decks where it may have been sanded level during building.

Others have suggested sealing with epoxy before varnishing, but I have only used Ultravar 2 pack polyurethane varnish, which has been very successful and has lasted six years with little maintenance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.