Latest News: Forums Technical Crack in hull

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Yesterday I was somewhat horrified to discover a series of cracks in the hull of my woodie. They are high up under the gunwale and approx 600mm long in total. It looks like the hull has been hit with something fairly soft – there is no scoring on the paintwork. In some places there is considerable lateral displacement of the ply, which now can’t move back to its original position because of splinters being jammed in the crack.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how would be the best way to mend this damage?

I am considering renewing the decks in the near future because the existing ones are made of 3mm ply and have suffered from sun and excessive loading causing cracking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Charles,
    Has the ply splintered inards inside the hull? I had some damage to mine once when it was struck from the outside. Not as extensive as yours though. I repaired it by removing the outer layers of ply along the damage, knitting the inner together and epoxying the hole from the outside (paint covers a multitude of sins, whereas varnish doesn’t.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes the ply has splintered inwards. Do you suugest removing enough of the outer layers of ply to allow the cracks to close up? If so, what sort of epoxy do I use to fill the resulting hole?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes that is exactly what I did. Any idea how the damage occurred?
    I used SP Systems epoxy with fast hardener mixed with some colloidal silica and fairing compound for lightness, however your damage is much bigger than mine was so it may be worth considering adding a layer of glas cloth for strength as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What did you use to remove the ply? I was thinking to use a thin chisel. I might use glass mat, but if I did, I’d fix it to the inside. The alternative would be a ply patch.

I don’t know how the damage occurred. Since I live on a farm, a tractor carrying a “big bale” seems a likely culprit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.