Latest News: Forums Technical Corroded spreader adjusters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    nickgiles
    Participant

In trying to set up spreader length and angle as per Wayfarer Book V ed. I find the stainless steel part of the adjuster and the ali bottle screw are “fused”. Tried freeing off with WD 40 and also blow torch to no avail. The spreaders are set too wide 990mm cf 965mm as recommended and the angles are different. Any suggestions for freeing up the joints would be welcome. Would soaking in coca-cola work? If I need to replace the adjusters I note that Selden do spreader adjuster barrels as a separate item so that is probably the answer!
    Nick 9922 Lizzie B

Swiebertje
    Participant

The working part of Coca Cola is the carbon dioxide in the drink, in other words any soda pop will do. May I suggest you use one with a minimal sugar contents instead? I know CO2 reacts with Iron rust (Fe2O3) but I am nut sure if it works with Aluminium oxide. The CO2 in the coke makes it a (very light) acid that binds (very slowly) with the Fe2O3. You may find that vinegar works faster.

I would try to soak it in WD40 for several hours (or even a day). Put it in a bowl and cover it to minimize evaporation. If that does not work try heating and cooling it. The expansion may just free the bolt from the Aluminium. If that fails try pliers, a vice and a little persuasion.

If you used too much persuasion you may want to visit this or this or this page.

nickgiles
    Participant

Hi,
    Many thanks for your detailed and helpful advice. I have ordered a pair of replacement barrels as I suspect that my attempts to free will result in damage and the barrels are much cheaper than the whole replacement strut. A good coating of grease may help prevent the same problem again
    Best wishes, Nick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.