- This topic is empty.
- 04/05/2007 at 5:10 pm #3476
After 11 years my Wayfarer Bramble has at long last been launched. The trials and tribulations of bringing her back into use after rescuing her from a sad & derelict state have proved worthwhile. Although if I had known when I started that it was to take so long I probably wouldn’t have done it.
It’s a long story which I intend to tell in the next issue of Wayfarer News(assuming the Editor is prepared to print it and that anyone else is prepared to read it !)
So thanks to all my fellow Wayfarer sailors for the advice I have had over years, and for those that thought I would never get there the evidence is pictured below.
06/05/2007 at 8:00 pm #5211AnonymousInactive
Congratulations. She looks beautiful. Looks like you launched her from a nice spot too. Look forward to reading about it………..eleven years!…….hope you were getting a bit of sailing in in something else too. Have you got any further with the boat tent? cheers Dave07/05/2007 at 7:10 pm #5213
Yes, 11 years feels a bit like a confessional but after it dawned on me the enormity of the task I decided I would have to just try and get it right regardless of the time. It certainly got a lot worse before it got better and the contemplation time can be excessive when you ponder over every detail.
From the last few sails it all seems to work ok, just some fine tuning but then I now know that will never stop.
The boat tent project is on going, I have acquired a Lichfield Mk5 with no poles from ebay with a hope that it can be easily converted as recommended on an earlier forum posting. Although I am tempted to leave it till the winter and try to make a canvas model.
Sailing is now my current priority.
W303508/05/2007 at 8:58 pm #5219AnonymousInactive
Pete – well done, she looks great. The glories of wood!13/05/2007 at 5:57 pm #5233amandatettmarMember
Hi Peter, So impressed with your efforts. We acquired 3319 which is also composite last year. She looks very very similar. We have bought the engine bracket which we spy on the back of yours, but have discovered that there are two fibreglass buoyancy compartments inside the aft locker where we need to get the fixings in ( not sure if the compartments are filled with polstyrene. There is a gap between the two inner compartments , maybe 2/3 inches , and then about an inch between the top of the compartments and the inside of the deck . Hope this makes sense . Did you have this problem? and if so how did you get round it or did you have the decks off?? We wondered about cavity wall type fixings ? We would really appreciate some guidance
Victor & Amanda13/05/2007 at 10:26 pm #5234
Fitting of the outboard bracket was the final major task that I carried out earlier this year. I very much regretted not doing the job when the decks were off & the deck framing removed. No reason other than simple prevarication by me not wanting to cut into the sealed bouyancy compartments.
The solution largely followed an old artcile in the summer 2001 edition of Wayfarer news and an article on the Wanderer class assoc web site http://www.wanderer.org.uk/technical/outboard_bracket.htm
Plus help from this forum see other earlier postings.
As you need to be able to rely on the bracket being 100% secure I wouldn’t consider anything other than bolting solidly right through the transome and a solid backing.
In summary list of operations as follows;
Carefully mark bracket position ensuring outboard swings to avoid rudder and ensure that fixings are accessible within the rear bouyancy tank.
My bracket ended up in a position slightly different to that detailed by Boats & Bits who supplied the bracket.
The top two bolts go through the centre of the timber bearer that carries the ply deck, there was a gap of a couple of inches in which to use a spanner.
The bottom two bolts went into the bouyancy compartment, I made up a long drill with a length of 6mm ss rod and drilled right through the whole compartment. This gave me the location to cut an access hatch using a drill and hacksaw blade.
I then cut out all of the polystyrene by what ever means I could. I had thought that I could just cut out a section to access the bolts and then fix it back after but this proved impossible.
With the compartmentment completely empty I drilled the two final bolt holes. I cut and epoxied into place a 9mm plywood packing to the inner face of the transome. Then with plenty of Sikaflex I bolted through with some large ss penny washers in adition to the washers supplied with the bracket. I also changed the nuts to nyloc nuts to guarantee that they would not come undone.
The compartment was then refilled with a 3D jigsaw of polystyrene wedged into place then finally secured with expanding foam to fill all of the air gaps.
Final task was to epoxy back into position the access hatch then glassfibre over the joints to give a water tight compartment.
It all seems to work very well but be warned spending time mostly upside down with your hand in a very small tight place is not to be recommended, assistance will be needed to help hold the bracket and screws etc.
But please check & double check before drilling through the transome, my first pilot hole hit the end of a deck bearer and the whole assembly had to be repositioned.
Hopefully that all makes sense, let me known if you want any more info or details. Good luck.
W303515/05/2007 at 3:46 pm #5244amandatettmarMember
Hi Peter, Thank you for these really helpful instructions. I think it will be the job for next autumn, now so as not to interefere with this years sailing. We’ll certainly be in touch again,if we get into trouble. Thanks again, Amanda & Victor
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.