Latest News: Forums Cruising coleman stoves / lanterns / Tilleys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Having said that I love my petrol Colemans stove and lantern in the Motors posting I just got the catelogue through the door from “the Tackle Box”, Dartford, Kent (and on the net) who were very good when I needed to replace the pump cup.
    However last weekend I saw a Tilley lantern for the first time and although I have heard of them I was curious if anyone uses one and rates it over the petrol lantern. The Tilley burns parafin (or kerosene). It is also twice the price but it looks so good! How well does it work compared to petrol? Thanks in advance for any answers
    Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

On a slightly different, but connected subject – any thoughts on fumes from petrol stoves/lanterns? Logic dictates that something noxious must come out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Matt, As I know you must have admired photos of my spacious home made mk3 you will be aware it is spacious and extremely well ventilated (perish the thought it should blow or rain!)……..so fumes not an issue! Actually I have never had any issue with the stove but the lantern my wife complains about……..and lighting it is always exciting…….definitely open space reqd…………..once sealing the sleeping area I would switch to a torch definitely.
    cheers Dave
    ps your trip down west looked excellent (on my road atlas)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts on Tilleys. I thought that Tilley Lamps have now shut down. I went to a wedding in Northern Island a few years ago and we picked up a guest who happened to be the son of ‘Mr. Tilley’. The factory was closing and we got the last Tilley ever to come out of the factory – FREE! 🙂 Whilst I love it, spares for them are becoming more and more of an issue. Try going into Millets and asking for a Tilley mantle, they look at you like you are from another planet. On the plus side, nothing quite beats sitting in a tent with the hiss and pop of a Tilley. Yes, there is a definite smell but I think its all part of the atmosphere. Having said that, we use it on our family camping trips in a very big tent so fumes aren’t a prob. Hope this helps.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some one must have bought the Tilley name out of the ashes……they are definitely in business now and the lantern looked superb……..go via the internet for spares……(obviously you’ll have broadband in the big tent)…I’ll resist the urge to criticise the Milletts knowledge base, I’m no grumpy hate shopping type!
    cheers Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tilley have definitely closed. I know this as a couple of years ago during a trip to NI we had to pick up a guest for a wedding we were attending. THis guest happened to be the son of the owner. At that time they were in the very final stages of closing the factory. We were lucky enough to get the last Tilley (made from bits that were lying around) that came out of the factory.

You’ve got to love a Tilley! Not only does it give fantastic light but they are warm. Never used one on a boat though as the thought of spillages would bother me.

As far as I am concerned when camping light = LED.

Now does anyone know of a waterproof solar battery charger?

Gordon

W10143

Gordon

Nauticalia used to do a waterproof Solar Torch – can’t see one in their latest catalogue, but a ‘phone call might get one.

David

Swiebertje
    Participant

Hmm, if Tilley’s is out of business what is this then: http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/

Personally I prefer a real storm proof anchor light like this one: http://www.dhr.nl/index.php?productID=164&node=2&subcategoryID=0
    DHR is not cheap but their lanterns meet all standards and regulations at sea.

Another interesting link: http://base-camp.co.uk/

Smillie

Similar to the “Tilley” is the Vapalux lamp, also sold under “Bialaddin”. Try an e-bay search and you may have some success. Use either Tilley mantles, or buy from, I think, Willis and Bates, the lamp manufacturer. (Be careful not to inhale the dust from old mantles as you change them. Use a wet tissue trap it.)

Like the Tilley, this lamp uses paraffin (kerosene) rather than petrol, and like the tilley, it needs methylated spirits to light up.

Jim.Byers

I once considered Tilley, but was put off when i was told paraffin creats one pint of water for every gallon burned.
    Jim.Byers W8206

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Matt773 wrote:

On a slightly different, but connected subject – any thoughts on fumes from petrol stoves/lanterns?

As long as the fumes are downwind of the seasick crew, fumes are not an issue!

Anonymous
    Inactive

True. Crew eh! They are either being sick or fainting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.